All the trees are blowing down.... But?

AlexB

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Again, not the point. In a commercial environment there is a legal obligation to ensure the people you use are qualified to do the job.

We pretty much agree that the piece of paper proves nothing other than attendance and you're £500 poorer.

I'm not sure its a legal requirement to have all the tickets, the requirement is training for saw use, most skills are transferable, experience is very important, I find it very hard to believe any one would be prosecuted for not having a pacific ticket.

I'm not sure its a legal requirement to have all the tickets, the requirement is training for saw use, most skills are transferable, experience is very important, I find it very hard to believe any one would be prosecuted for not having a pacific ticket.

But the person that asked you to do it could certainly be prosecuted if they are not satisfied you have been trained and competent

That is the hard bit if you don't have the £££ piece of paper

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1391816503.649693.jpg.790e4b1ad7a39cea9b00459d9537e52b.jpg

From the hse chainsaws at work document.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1391816776.613211.jpg.81a7855c2d65a7cfa33ace1d9cee0d48.jpg

From puwer 98

Edited by AlexB

I'm not convinced.

Which bit is it that doesn't convince you? The

"All workers who use a chainsaw should be competent to do so. Before using a chainsaw to carry out work on or in a tree, a worker should have received appropriate training and obtained a relevant certificate of competence or national competence award, unless they are undergoing such training and are adequately supervised."

Bit from the hse chainsaws at work document.

Or, from "Provisions and use of work equipment regulations 1998"

"■ Adequate training should ensure that those who use the machine are competent to use it safely. This includes ensuring they have the correct skills,knowledge, experience and risk awareness, and are physically suited to the

task. Sometimes formal qualifications are needed, eg for chainsaw operators."

Which bit is it that doesn't convince you? The

"All workers who use a chainsaw should be competent to do so. Before using a chainsaw to carry out work on or in a tree, a worker should have received appropriate training and obtained a relevant certificate of competence or national competence award, unless they are undergoing such training and are adequately supervised."

Bit from the hse chainsaws at work document.

Or, from "Provisions and use of work equipment regulations 1998"

"■ Adequate training should ensure that those who use the machine are competent to use it safely. This includes ensuring they have the correct skills,knowledge, experience and risk awareness, and are physically suited to the

task. Sometimes formal qualifications are needed, eg for chainsaw operators."

:001_smile:

Personally I think you need to have proof of competence for saw use, but maybe not for every situation in which a saw can be used.

I could be wrong and would be very interested to hear of any cases of someone with some tickets being prosecuted for carrying out tasks not specific to their tickets.

Personally I think you need to have proof of competence for saw use, but maybe not for every situation in which a saw can be used.

That's where my thoughts lie too.

Certification is all well and good but how often would someone come straight off something like 34/35 and be going straight into block after block of windblow where they can put what they've learnt into practice to go from Competant to Experienced.

On the whole, I'd much rather work alongside someone who had less tickets but more experience than someone with a big stack of tickets than plenty of experience.