Railway sleepers

Goodpig

Old, but not to shabby or dirty, 'twas defo the timber, very dense and they were really heavy.

Ask yourself this, does the chain last moments when felling it? Nope, why? because its virgin timber.

When its been sitting on top of ballast for a year or three, action of the train pressing down on the ballast causes dust which then finds its way into the surface of the timber by the action of wind and rain.

You cant see it but its there and that's what takes the edge off the chain. If you cut used and virgin sleepers you will see the difference.

Properly sharpened chains last plenty well in virgin timber no matter how hard.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you've never cut ekki then...

Had the pleasure once for a wood turner. He warned me it was "like iron lad"

Its nothing like Lime but a professional saw sharpened and wielded by an experienced user bested it although it did take the edge of the saw quicker than most.

The white bits are mineral deposits, the ballast flour that ends up in the grain of the sleeper is exactly the same principal but worse.

As an aside what's the fascination making things with a timber that's so difficult to work? The old boy I cut it for regarded his chunk with reverence.

Ask yourself this, does the chain last moments when felling it? Nope, why? because its virgin timber.

When its been sitting on top of ballast for a year or three, action of the train pressing down on the ballast causes dust which then finds its way into the surface of the timber by the action of wind and rain.

You cant see it but its there and that's what takes the edge off the chain. If you cut used and virgin sleepers you will see the difference.

Properly sharpened chains last plenty well in virgin timber no matter how hard.

Don't know didn't fell it, if it's jarrah and Australian doubt I'll get the chance.

So it's been out for a few years,pretty seasoned then. There was no sign of any rot,maybe a bit weathered for the first 5-10mm.

Did have a 6 foot cut down the grain,5"thick tho.

Freshly sharpened chain. Bit of both probably muck and HARD wood.

Thanks fer replies. Jarrah it is/was.

Don't know didn't fell it, if it's jarrah and Australian doubt I'll get the chance.

So it's been out for a few years,pretty seasoned then. There was no sign of any rot,maybe a bit weathered for the first 5-10mm.

Did have a 6 foot cut down the grain,5"thick tho.

Freshly sharpened chain. Bit of both probably muck and HARD wood.

Thanks fer replies. Jarrah it is/was.

post a pic of it and i'll tell you if its either.

I have tried to turn it with little success, I thought it had silica in the grain structure.

Best used in landscaping and left uncut.

H-A

the white deposits in the pores are silica and don't take kindly to any blade.

i've just been turning some for a project and it's incredibly difficult to cut with a slicing action. it prefers to be scraped to remove material.