The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Alec,

I don't know that model (I have A & C series Wheelhorses) but have a look over on the Wheelhorse forum (Forums - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum) There are quite a few Brits on the forum, including a few not far from Essex with ALL sorts of W/H spares knocking about.

Alternatively, using the existing pulley hub (with keyway) as a base it doesn't look too difficult to weld a new couple of pulleys to that?

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

I agree it wouldn't be too difficult to weld new pulleys to the hub, were it not for the fact that I gave the hub to someone who was going to turn up a replacement for me and has now lost it instead. I did have a quick look on Ebay and amazingly there is one on there, but it's brand new, in the US and including shipping and tax will be around £120 delivered so I will see if I can find an alternative first.

Alec

Yet another ride on mower collected last week.

I am a bit pushed for time in the run up to a few days off, so I was straight in. There was a broken belt tied to the grass box handle, so off with the deck. A good wash and an inspection.

A list soon developed, blades very worn, all remaining belts badly worn, air filter completely clogged, very black oil etc.

So parts ordered and fitted, complete service, loose paint removed from deck, rust treated, repainted, refitted. Body work polished, tyres blacked.

Then I went to fill out the job card. It read " replace broken belt only- no service":blushing:

I've recently been given a Honda HRH 535 self drive mower with split body, I stripped it down completely and repaired the body and as I only want a push mower I've removed the drive shaft and transmission, my question is can I remove or lock up the clutch as I want to simplify the handle and remove all controls and cables except the throttle like my old Briggs and Stratton, what's the best way to remove the centre bolt holding the clutch without an impact driver, is it left or right hand thread, can anyone see a problem I might have with this set up, any ideas appreciated thanks John

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a problem with my mum's MTD E/165 ride on mower. ( Model 13C0768N678. Year 1998/2000 ). 40" cut. Twin blade. B&S 16.5hp engine.

I was using the mower and lost drive. There was a burning smell and smoke from the front of the mower, so I thought that the front drive belt had gone. I've had a good look and all the belts are intact. The engine will start and run OK but the drive belts won't turn. At first the deck belt wouldn't go either, but I raised the mower, lowered the deck and loosened the belt. The blades now spin with the engine going.

I was going to replace both the front and rear drive belts. I've already got the front belt and have ordered the rear belt.

A couple of questions:

1. How easy is it to replace the belts? I assume that the rear (top) belt has to come off first.

2. When I took the transmission plate off, I noticed a loose rod. I think that's the brake rod numbered 44 on the attached parts diagram. It's also shown with some orange wire round it on one of the photos. I just can't see where it should be connected. Is it likely that other parts (eg. a spring) are also missing?

3. Could this disconnected rod be the cause of the loss of drive, or is it unrelated?

Any help would be gratefully received.

079.PNG.08bd3c4c5d818ffab258d0cc2f1b4b9b.PNG

003.JPG.dcb859b0a5b2cad1ed69cb460b5cdb4d.JPG

080.JPG.05c513b67bb935bf6f5377d90202f487.JPG

I've got a problem with my mum's MTD E/165 ride on mower. ( Model 13C0768N678. Year 1998/2000 ). 40" cut. Twin blade. B&S 16.5hp engine.

I was using the mower and lost drive. There was a burning smell and smoke from the front of the mower, so I thought that the front drive belt had gone. I've had a good look and all the belts are intact. The engine will start and run OK but the drive belts won't turn. At first the deck belt wouldn't go either, but I raised the mower, lowered the deck and loosened the belt. The blades now spin with the engine going.

I was going to replace both the front and rear drive belts. I've already got the front belt and have ordered the rear belt.

A couple of questions:

1. How easy is it to replace the belts? I assume that the rear (top) belt has to come off first.

2. When I took the transmission plate off, I noticed a loose rod. I think that's the brake rod numbered 44 on the attached parts diagram. It's also shown with some orange wire round it on one of the photos. I just can't see where it should be connected. Is it likely that other parts (eg. a spring) are also missing?

3. Could this disconnected rod be the cause of the loss of drive, or is it unrelated?

Any help would be gratefully received.

This is Garden kit territory but if you've worked out it's part 44 then maybe it's part of the clutching?.This is more moral than technical support.....until the cavalry arrive.

This is Garden kit territory but if you've worked out it's part 44 then maybe it's part of the clutching?.This is more moral than technical support.....until the cavalry arrive.

Thanks Mike. The good news is that I found the spring hanging down hidden away under the seat, so I've connected the loose brake/clutch rod to the spring. The belts still aren't turning though.

• 4 weeks later...