The Mower Bench

GardenKit

On the Kubota G2160 we just carried out a routine service, however the input shaft seal on the deck gearbox had popped out and had been like it for some time... this is the oil we drained from the box.

image.jpg3_zps9we5wnsf.jpg

Had luckily not damaged any gears but all bearings were shot, rebuilt with new bearings and seals. Has a Autoguide 48" mulch deck fitted from new on this one.

image.jpg5_zpsp25qbeip.jpg

I know this has problery been mentioned loads of times but what's the best contractor mower

Ive got a honda hrm535 powered driver plastic deck and 21 injured collected.

Last year i brought i brought the same but in the cobra range and its terriable . Slow , heavey at nearly 60kg , and the handles have bent due to trying to move the machine around the grass . I'm thinking of selling this taking the hit of lost of money and buying another one but what ......!!!

Afternoon,

Thanks gardenkit i adjusted my choke setting this orning much better, many thanks.

Just about to put the deck back on as it comes off every winter, just wondering if there is anything to paint on bottom to help preserve it. I usually use oil or a load of cheap primer, depends what is to hand usually. Does anyone use waxoil or underseal or recomend anything else, or is it best left bare.

Afternoon,

Thanks gardenkit i adjusted my choke setting this orning much better, many thanks.

Just about to put the deck back on as it comes off every winter, just wondering if there is anything to paint on bottom to help preserve it. I usually use oil or a load of cheap primer, depends what is to hand usually. Does anyone use waxoil or underseal or recomend anything else, or is it best left bare.

I see all sorts. and over many years I have tried all ways.

The biggest problem we face is that rust is already present. At one time I started painting the decks after a good powerwash and wire brushing, but then the next year I would find that the deck had carried on rusting UNDER the paint, and big slabs of rust would flake off.

Of course, if we sandblasted the deck to get rid of all rust then painting might work, but its not economic to do and we may lose more metal each year through sand blasting than from rust.

Then for a good few years I painted the decks with a product from Spaldings called METALSEAL. This is a chemical rust converter that hardens like a varnish and is meant to convert rust and seal it in. But to be fair, it is intended for light rust on exposed new metal before overpainting, a job it does well. But it did no good at all on mower decks, in fact I think it acted more like painting and the rust carried on underneath,

So for the last good few years I pressure wash, wire brush and then apply black waxoyl. This works into the rust and counters the rusting action, so whilst the deck is parked up over the winter the rust does not advance. But this waxoyl does wear off slowly through the season, with very little evidence left by the next service.

Underseal would be bad, as it would encourage rust underneath, just like paint.

Over many years of seeing hundreds of decks back every year for service, the best protection has been from the Black Waxoyl. Golden works well too, but with the Black the customer sees that we have applied it.

I wrote the last post during lunch, and by sheer coincidence the next job to hit the bench was a deck that had recently been painted, I guess by the owner, It was pretty clean so I guess it has only been used once since painting.

The picture shows the paint over the top of very large rust laminations. One such rust flake was loose and fell off as I blasted the air gun over it to clean away the few grass clippings.

In my experience this deck will now soon perforate completely and probably accelerated by the overpainting.

The JD deck has had the waxoyl treatment, which I have found to be the best.

P1010643.JPG.da08b9168fd7fb51f4837f707ba64bdf.JPG

P1010644.JPG.ecb28b8a05068111b83fcfb06b8f64cb.JPG

P1010645.JPG.a13c373afee07a71bf24e513b68a379d.JPG

P1010646.JPG.774eb200e7d9a540592ce4ed547cf938.JPG

I know this has problery been mentioned loads of times but what's the best contractor mower

Ive got a honda hrm535 powered driver plastic deck and 21 injured collected.

Last year i brought i brought the same but in the cobra range and its terriable . Slow , heavey at nearly 60kg , and the handles have bent due to trying to move the machine around the grass . I'm thinking of selling this taking the hit of lost of money and buying another one but what ......!!!

Look at the top end Viking Mowers

Gardenkit, you are a mind of knowledge on such things. I think i have some black waxoyl about as i think thats what i use on the sills of my van. Not really into sand blasting as it tends to get sand in orifices its not welcome. I quite like the wire brush on the grinder. So a power wire brush and black waxoyl it is then.