The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Sure, valves should only change slowly, so unlikely to be the problem unless something has come loose. Worth checking anyway.

With regard to carbon, yes it does build up slowly, but will give the symptons you have. It is most likely to be in the exhaust rather than the port with a four stroke. These carbon build ups can break free and float around in the exhaust where the flow of gases moves them to the outlet where they jam until the revs drop and they fall free, only to move again when the revs increase.

Take the exhaust off and give it a shake, you may hear a rattle and lumps may drop out.

You could also run the machine without the exhaust to see if there is a difference, but wear some ear defenders and goggles.

Thanks All for the thoughts, and apologies for the delayed response - computer is dead and I miss things on the iPhone, so I am periodically catching up using my wife's computer.

Not definitive, but I think the prize goes to Graham. Haven't used it much as I've been brushcutting rather than strimming, using the other machine, but a test run had it firing up and revving out fine, all symptoms gone. Next time I'm using it, if it starts doing it when worked for a long time then I will try loosening the fuel cap off and if it picks up immediately, answer is definitive.

Alec

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

A chap came in the shop yesterday with the chain hanging off the saw.

"have only used this a couple of times and the chain has come off, I want you to fix it"

So I asked "have you been keeping it tight?"

The answer was "I tried, but the adjuster screw just clicks round, does not move the chain"

"You were slackening the bar nuts??"

"err, No. Should I have to?"

P1010445.jpg.8f1db1ac42b7e1a82a4016eb1a002718.jpg

P1010446.jpg.a1947be0b3ce046b615be6e3142e4dcc.jpg

A chap came in the shop yesterday with the chain hanging off the saw.

"have only used this a couple of times and the chain has come off, I want you to fix it"

So I asked "have you been keeping it tight?"

The answer was "I tried, but the adjuster screw just clicks round, does not move the chain"

"You were slackening the bar nuts??"

"err, No. Should I have to?"

[ATTACH]168059[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]168060[/ATTACH]

It is a worry isn't it - I had one old fella I sold a saw to say that the chain wasn't spinning - I said "you have taken the chain brake off haven't you" him...eerrrrrrrr:blushing::001_rolleyes::lol:

Me - "step in to my workshop for a little tuition....and hour later!!!!!

Just fixed up a Hayter 305L - it was hunting all over the place and sounding real rich/rough, cleaned the carb and replaced a filthy oily air filter, all good. Sharpened the blade, replaced the recoil rope and did an oil change - another happy customer!

And today I had one of the most meticulous customers I have ever met.

He brought his hedgecutter in for its "100 hour service" (his words)

I asked him how he new it had done 100hrs.

His reply was that he logs every use in a little book. Date and duration of use.

• 1 month later...

i have a bolens 1256 tractor with the kohler 18hp petrol engine all the wiring was cut and removed bodged up i have put a new ignition barrel on renewed most of the wiring cleaned up the starter everything is running fine but there is one item that is missing

i want a voltage rectifier i have been told that a rectifier off a john deere ride on mower that uses the kohler engine i was hoping you had any ideas

thanks

i have a bolens 1256 tractor with the kohler 18hp petrol engine all the wiring was cut and removed bodged up i have put a new ignition barrel on renewed most of the wiring cleaned up the starter everything is running fine but there is one item that is missing

i want a voltage rectifier i have been told that a rectifier off a john deere ride on mower that uses the kohler engine i was hoping you had any ideas

thanks

Hi Shavey.

I dont see that many Kohlers as the recent JD's do not use them. But the Kohler twins I have seen have the voltage regulator attached to the cowl where the airflow cools it. I have seen several types.

So, if you know what it looks like have a surf on the net, several references with pics will come up. Many give JD part numbers too, especially if you include JD in the search.

If you have no idea what it looks like then we will have to identify the correct one for the engine so will need the engine numbers.

Hope this helps, even if just a little.