forestry planning permission

I have been running a small business since 2009 selling logs, I own 1 acre of woodland which is situated in a 10+ acre wood.

I have put in a track with hard standing yard and also a steel building but after a planning appeal have 6 months to remove it all.

Although I manage 7 acres a few miles away and have a verbal contract on part of the wood next to me the council say i do not have enough land so its not "reasonably necessary".

Im having trouble finding a planning agent with expertise in forestry planning law and would like to know if anyone else had had similar issues and got round it.

Can i buy cord wood in from another forestry firm and still be classes as forestry or do i have to harvest the timber myself?

I really dont want to give up and have to sell everything but at the moment I cant see a way out!

Ive put a couple of pictures on to give an idea of my set up

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought it " reasonably necessary " to enable you to earn a crust and feed and clothe your family . Bloody bonkers all these jobs worths that are full of piss and importance . I thought encouraging new business was the way to go !

If you were just processing your own wood from the site I think you'd be good. Clearly 1 acre doesn't need a 3 bay shed etc. Bringing wood into process/store isn't forestry, it's classed as industrial. Plonking an industrial unit in a wood is probably how the council see it.

You've come a long way in the fight but it looks stacked against you.

Dave

If you had over 5 hectares then you'd have a chance of getting retrospective permission via permitted development... but in comparison a 1 acre plot is tiny. Sorry to be brutally honest but it looks like you've gone way too far with the scale of it all, and that you'd be wasting your time & money chasing this any further.

But I could be wrong??....

I wonder what they would consider reasonable. If you reduced the buildings in square footage perhaps would there be an acceptable compromise that they would allow, and work it forward from there. Access lane, hard standing and a smaller unit?

This is what a planning advisor had said to, who decides if it is reasonably necessary?

If you had over 5 hectares then you'd have a chance of getting retrospective permission via permitted development... but in comparison a 1 acre plot is tiny. Sorry to be brutally honest but it looks like you've gone way too far with the scale of it all, and that you'd be wasting your time & money chasing this any further.

But I could be wrong??....

I am looking to maybe put in for just 1 or 2 bays and try that but may just sell it all as its one BIG headache!