Chas help

simonm

I run a small 2 man team doing domestic and commercial tree work. lately we have had quite a bit of commercial stuff come through and keep getting asked if we are chas accredited, i am not! i have started filling in the necessary paperwork and have completed it all apart from the having access to competent health and safety advise. I know it says as a sole trader i can do this myself or appoint an employee but i honestly dont think neither of us know 100% of everything there is to know. should i seek outside help? or is there somwhere i can look to update my knowledge on current h&s :confused1:

I run a small 2 man team doing domestic and commercial tree work. lately we have had quite a bit of commercial stuff come through and keep getting asked if we are chas accredited, i am not! i have started filling in the necessary paperwork and have completed it all apart from the having access to competent health and safety advise. I know it says as a sole trader i can do this myself or appoint an employee but i honestly dont think neither of us know 100% of everything there is to know. should i seek outside help? or is there somwhere i can look to update my knowledge on current h&s :confused1:

I have just renewed my CHAS accreditation, competent health and safety advice you could say you get from the AA or indeed the HSE.

You don't actually have to know everything just have access to somebody or an organisation that does.

Edited by High Scale

CHAS is just an exercise in form filling, that costs you money. It used to be every 2 years, now I think its every year. In my opinion anyone with any sense could fill in the forms, telling them just what they want to hear, and get accredited. However, it may get you a bit more work. I had to do it to work for Caravan Club, but have since let it lapse. Have no plans to go through all that paperwork again.

CHAS is just an exercise in form filling, that costs you money. It used to be every 2 years, now I think its every year. In my opinion anyone with any sense could fill in the forms, telling them just what they want to hear, and get accredited. However, it may get you a bit more work. I had to do it to work for Caravan Club, but have since let it lapse. Have no plans to go through all that paperwork again.

I do it every year and its a doddle. It serves me well.

I am Safecontractor Approved, going to get CHAS as well :thumbup1:

I would say put yourself down as competent in H&S and just say you get constantly check up on current H&S on the HSE website and the AA. :001_smile:

The CHAS helpline is very helpful they will help you out. Also when u submit your form if there is anything missing or they want more info they will ask for it and you then supply what they want. Beware you have a certain time frame to respond by when they ask for more info ;)

hope this helps :001_smile:

CHAS is well worth having regardless saves on insurance and looks a lot better and keeps you safer :thumbup1:

It's designed to bypass the PQQ element of H&S on tender forms but is also looked at as an indicator of a basic level of H&S competence. For example, your doing everything you should be for the size of your business.

In the real world it really doesn't mean that much but is a box ticking exercise. Yes of course you can do it yourself but many get me to do theirs because the can't be bothered with the hassle and questions from assessors.

CHAS is quite a simple process and the assessors are very helpful. SAFEContractor is a nightmare.

If you need any advise or help PM me.

Best Regards.

PS I'm NEBOSH qualified which ticks the competence box quite nicely.