Everyday sexism?

Marko

What he said.

I can not believe I'm addressing this in my first ever post but...... I'm a little sick and tired of naked/near naked women being used to sell everything from tooth paste to beer to well everything. When women and especially young women are subjected to these images day after day it reinforces an underlying societal belief that a woman's worth is based on how conventionally sexually attractive she is. Add that to the input of the media, fashion and cosmetic surgery industries and its no wonder eating disorder, low self esteem and self harm rates in women are through the roof (and before someone says it, yes these rates are on the rise for blokes too, but no where near as high as for women).

If you'd be happy with this cartoon (or any of the other images posted in this thread) depicting your daughters, wives, female mates or mothers......then I'd be shocked.

And 'feminist clap trap' really??? Haven't seen that in print for years. All feminism means is equality between men and women. Nothing to be frightened about lads. I'm a proud feminist and manage to combine that with a sense of humour, being straight and on occations heals.

Finally. Don't you feel insulted as men that an ad agency thinks you're so stupid and narrowly focused that you'll buy anything as long as its advertised with a massive pair of t***??? Personally I get really angry that the media think men are that dumb. Here endith the first sermon. Hope my next post can be about technical issues and advise from this amazing source of info.

You're SO right! I'm in tune with your cosmic vibe about the adverse effect of sex in movies, video games, ads etc. I felt totally inadequate after watching Ron Jeremy service a dozen girls in one session, and as for Grand Theft Auto, there's no way one car can take THAT MANY high velocity rounds, and as for Cameron Diaz in "The Mask", her blatant exploitation of her own IMMENSE sexuality ruined an otherwise informative and intellectually challenging motion picture. Damn this evil sex thing!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're SO right! I'm in tune with your cosmic vibe about the adverse effect of sex in movies, video games, ads etc. I felt totally inadequate after watching Ron Jeremy service a dozen girls in one session, and as for Grand Theft Auto, there's no way one car can take THAT MANY high velocity rounds, and as for Cameron Diaz in "The Mask", her blatant exploitation of her own IMMENSE sexuality ruined an otherwise informative and intellectually challenging motion picture. Damn this evil sex thing!

haha.

I wonder how many of the people complaining about this advert also turn off a movie if a sex scene comes on?

What he said.

I can not believe I'm addressing this in my first ever post but...... I'm a little sick and tired of naked/near naked women being used to sell everything from tooth paste to beer to well everything. When women and especially young women are subjected to these images day after day it reinforces an underlying societal belief that a woman's worth is based on how conventionally sexually attractive she is. Add that to the input of the media, fashion and cosmetic surgery industries and its no wonder eating disorder, low self esteem and self harm rates in women are through the roof (and before someone says it, yes these rates are on the rise for blokes too, but no where near as high as for women).

If you'd be happy with this cartoon (or any of the other images posted in this thread) depicting your daughters, wives, female mates or mothers......then I'd be shocked.

And 'feminist clap trap' really??? Haven't seen that in print for years. All feminism means is equality between men and women. Nothing to be frightened about lads. I'm a proud feminist and manage to combine that with a sense of humour, being straight and on occations heals.

Finally. Don't you feel insulted as men that an ad agency thinks you're so stupid and narrowly focused that you'll buy anything as long as its advertised with a massive pair of t***??? Personally I get really angry that the media think men are that dumb. Here endith the first sermon. Hope my next post can be about technical issues and advise from this amazing source of info.

I'd hardly call them massive. Mine are bigger that that. :001_smile:

We don't get time to read every single thing thats written, if theres something that needs attention that we have missed please feel free to use the report post feature

Oh! My sorry... didn't know there was a report post feature! Looking for it now..... cheers :thumbup1:

I believe the longevity and success of Arbtalk is a much to do with the hard work and diligence of the moderators upholding standards; a constant battle (punctuated with regular very public purges) to elevate content from the seemingly inevitable slide downhill.

Seeing the attached advert was a bit of a surprise. I am no prude but I personally don't think this advert should be topping a page of Arbtalk. If Sugi want to send out gynacological calendars and the like to their own customers that is their call but is it really appropriate for this forum in 2014?

What do others think? Harmless fun or everyday sexism?

HI MARKO it good for ROB D it gets us talking about the BARS thanks jon :thumbup:

What he said.

Good post, I very much agree.

Personally I try to avoid dealing with companies that use this style of advertising. So the company using this ad is less likely of getting any business from me, I was going to be placing an order with them.....probably not now!

Personally I try to avoid dealing with companies that use this style of advertising. So the company using this ad is less likely of getting any business from me, I was going to be placing an order with them.....probably not now!

By the looks of that...no husky or stihls for you then:confused1:

Your loss . Superb bars ....:001_smile: