Which oil

PC tree

Read it again, 3% methanol, 5% ethanol.

Plus other alcohols.

H-A

Doh :blushing:

I was being lazy. Found a discussion elsewhere that said Tesco fuel contained no ethanol with a link to the contents of there fuel. So Tesco may have recently changed their formula.

Edited by Woodworks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This response from Esso is more interesting.

"Thank you for contacting Esso Customer Care. May I assure you that any

enquiry received by Esso is taken extremely seriously and followed up as

appropriate.

Please read our statement about the content of ethanol in our fuels as

follows.

All premium unleaded petrol marketed in the UK by Esso contains an ethanol

content of up to 5% by volume. Our energy Supreme Unleaded is largely

ethanol free with the exception of Scotland, the North eastern corner of

England and the far South West. Most vintage cars are compatible with

ethanol up to 5%, although we are aware of concerns by the vintage car

community. Where ethanol free energy Supreme Unleaded is available,

customers may wish to choose that grade – at least 80% of Esso retailed

energy Supreme Unleaded is ethanol free and will remain so into the

forseeable future.

There is no ethanol in our diesel.

I hope this information helps.

Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Üdvözlettel

Katalin Haller

Customer Care Assistant

Customer Service, Fuels & Lubricants, EAME

Telephone: +36 1 298 5752; +44 207 136 1798; +353 165 69 039

Fax: +36 1 298 7180; +44 207 026 4267; +353 165 69 180"

H-A

I've been using supreme unleaded from Esso in the hope it was ethanol free. But according to that email there is ethanol in it. Strimmer, 540 and 150 are all on Aspen already.

Now seriously considering doing a carb kit change on the 346, 550 and 576 and running them on Aspen permanently.

I was planning on upping my day rate slightly for some jobs, and I think that has just settled the issue for me.

Looks like Tesco sell petrol with no ethanol.

Specifications | Momentum99 Benefits | Tesco Petrol Filling Station

A fascinating spec... Things have moved on since I last looked at these, so I'm most grateful to you. Apologies for my earlier misleading bit on ethanol in super unleaded - times clearly change rapidly.

Sulphur at 10ppm. Guess what? The EU maximum is 10ppm... So no extra effort put into removing that, then.

Aromatics at 35%, and olefins at 18%. These are the octane enhancers. The aromatics include that nice benzene stuff, the olefins leave deposits in your engine. Both produce a disproportionate amount of pollutants - which we breathe in.

Oxygen is another octane enhancer. The ethers in that list concern me: MTBE, ETBE, TAME and DIPE. MTBE is banned in most of the US, with the rest joining within the year. None of the others are much better for you.

I really need to get cracking on a reliable supply of Aspen, I think...

A fascinating spec... Things have moved on since I last looked at these, so I'm most grateful to you. Apologies for my earlier misleading bit on ethanol in super unleaded - times clearly change rapidly.

Sulphur at 10ppm. Guess what? The EU maximum is 10ppm... So no extra effort put into removing that, then.

Aromatics at 35%, and olefins at 18%. These are the octane enhancers. The aromatics include that nice benzene stuff, the olefins leave deposits in your engine. Both produce a disproportionate amount of pollutants - which we breathe in.

Oxygen is another octane enhancer. The ethers in that list concern me: MTBE, ETBE, TAME and DIPE. MTBE is banned in most of the US, with the rest joining within the year. None of the others are much better for you.

I really need to get cracking on a reliable supply of Aspen, I think...

I like this post. Very well put and informative. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Any 2T oil with an API,TC or JASCO FC, FD rating will be fine this will be in almost all cases 100% synthetic. If you don`t get along with the smell have a try at IPONE samurai [the strawberry scented one ] As an aside & athough a lot of guys swear by it Stihl oil is only FB rated[Probably get lynched for that statement].not knocking it just saying.