torque multiplier on tractor.

Matthew Storrs

Just brought a new (to me) tractor. And it has a hare tortoise leaver which is the torque multiplier. Am I right in thinking I don't have to use the clutch to engage it. So if I'm going up a hill I can just push the lever whilst i have my foot on the accelerator.

Its a zetor 9540 if anyone is familiar with such things.

Many thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just brought a new (to me) tractor. And it has a hare tortoise leaver which is the torque multiplier. Am I right in thinking I don't have to use the clutch to engage it. So if I'm going up a hill I can just push the lever whilst i have my foot on the accelerator.

Its a zetor 9540 if anyone is familiar with such things.

Many thanks.

HI MATTHEW is it like the old multi power like on the old MASSEY FERGUSON as with m power mf going down hill in LOW MULTI POWER IT RUNS A WAY NO ENGIE BRAKES:thumbdown: THANKS JON :thumbup:

It's more of an overdrive than anything. Just puts into a high or low gearing. You shouldn't need the clutch as that's the whole point of it for getting into a lower range without using the clutch and losing power.

Try it. But do it oft he road Incase it goes wrong, it might not even work.

Oh sorry, no I know its definiatly the torque multiplier/splitter gearbox leaver, but not sure if I am meant to press the clutch down before I activate it, I have used whilst on the run and there is slightly more pressure then if I use it with the clutch down- but not massively so.

As has been said it's like an overdrive in reverse, it gives you a lower gear without having to interrupt power. They're normally and epicyclic gear with a cone clutch that moves back or fore to engage one or other gear under hydraulic activation.

NB What Jon says if it is like multipower because that had some sort of one way clutch to maintain drive and in normal use this freewheels as the other gear takes the load but when in low it freewheels on overrun.

I think early Zetors were International designs but don't recall dual power on IH.

As has been said it's like an overdrive in reverse, it gives you a lower gear without having to interrupt power. They're normally and epicyclic gear with a cone clutch that moves back or fore to engage one or other gear under hydraulic activation.

NB What Jon says if it is like multipower because that had some sort of one way clutch to maintain drive and in normal use this freewheels as the other gear takes the load but when in low it freewheels on overrun.

I think early Zetors were International designs but don't recall dual power on IH.

Not sure if mine would be classed as an early zetor being 1995, but from what if read zetors torque multiplier system was regarded as one of the best when it first can out, and indeed the zetor 'crystal' series were one of the most technologically advanced tractors of their era. Strange that the more modern zetors are renowned for their basicness when compared to the green, blue and red brigade!