Unimog

ben blackman

The thing I love the most about my mog is I can conform to traffic flow most of the time which is nice coming from a tractor. But it does have its limits I cant tow the same weights I could before and hitching up is a ball ache on your own too but I love the fact I can rock up on a job with a very manuverable unit that is self contained and holds a decent amount of chip legally and when done I can pop off to the chip site and unload very quickly without unhooking chippers and such like. I do want to go front mount chipper so I can tow a small tipper with hiab which will allow me move chip and timber in one. Again its about dealing with brash and timber efficiently. I know I can do bigger or more jobs in the same time frame now because of time saved.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The om mog engine is bomb proof, the only failures we have had x3 with them is when the rad gets blocked with crud from the chipper and no one is in the cab to see whats going on with the engine temperature so they get cooked.Gear boxes are running all day every day, when you add up the miles then the pto hours I think they are pretty tough.

Bob

Could you not fit an audible alarm (like the overload hooter on a crane) for temperature, so if no-one's in the cab you still get a warning?

Can anyone point me to a simple guide to 'Mog model numbers, something that would explain to a 'Mog-numpty the differences between say a U1300 and a U1250 etc.?

Perhaps if one of the 'Mog experts here had a few minutes they could post something.

Also what are the differences between an ag-spec and a non-ag-spec?

I love Mogs and hanker after one (can't justify it, sadly), but I have a feeling that the subject is a bit of a minefield for the uninitiated!

We wouldent be without them you based in the area? The u140l have had about 13 year I think its a good tool works hard has an 7" ducker on the front 12m mewp

U1450 has more power and load capacity 11m mewp 10"ducker on front grate chipper

The 2150 was brought for moveing timber and big site clerance jobs

Bothe of these we had built from chassis cab buy A.C Price at a fair expense you need the work for them and it helps if you can maintain them your self if not it will be exspensive

What sort of work do you carrie out ?

Hi we are from waterlooville way and we do housing and sum sites but we are trying to get into uitility work

they do cost £'s especially when they have expensive tastes, I caught this one going out on its own the other night:sneaky2:

When I see a chiper on the front I always wonder do the insurance company know what it looks like and how far they stick out???? If they don't like bull bars they would have a fit if they saw a chipper!!!!:confused1:

What an informative thread, I must say a big well done to Mr Blair and Mr skyhuck, not only for the great machines that they have, but for being honest about the running costs of these tools.:thumbup:

I have always loved Unimogs from afar, and have dreamed of one day owning one for use in the woods and for arb work, this has now been proven to be a dream as there is no way I could justify their keep, let alone the initial cost. :blushing:

Amazing machines, for me a lottery win will be the only way it will happen, but in the mean time I will just have to enjoy the pic's in the thread. :thumbup1:

I haven't personally used a UGN (300/400/500) but know people who do.. firstly the 300 isn't used much as the 400 is better, but the U20, which was a U300 chassis was ok as the Canter cab helped..

The 500 is too big so the 400 is the machine of choice. With Central tyre inflation, auto box and 24" V treads its a formidable truck, but at a price !

Can anyone point me to a simple guide to 'Mog model numbers, something that would explain to a 'Mog-numpty the differences between say a U1300 and a U1250 etc.?

Perhaps if one of the 'Mog experts here had a few minutes they could post something.

Also what are the differences between an ag-spec and a non-ag-spec?

I love Mogs and hanker after one (can't justify it, sadly), but I have a feeling that the subject is a bit of a minefield for the uninitiated!

I'm no expert, but I'll try and help, even numbers 1000,1200,1400,1600 are all small chassis square cabs, the number give an idea of horse power, i.e. 1000=100HP 1600=160HP.

A 50 after the number denotes long wheelbase, i.e. 1650.

Uneven numbers 1300,1500,1700,2100, are all larger chassis.

There are many exceptions to the above, a 1300L is small chassis, my 1600 is 245HP (210HP from the factory), 2400 is a large chassis.

Don't now if thats helped any or just cause more confusion :001_smile:

The company I work for runs a u 300 Lwb with side tip chip box and a timber crane on rear three point linkage. It's either used with a bc1400 behind it or mostly as a tow vehicle for our timber trailer which doubles as a plant trailer for 5.5 t excavator, tractor or platform. When on site the 5.5 tonner drags the chipper about and the mog extracts timber.