Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Well, I ran the 357 I ported today and I have decided everything without warranty now needs special treatment, it's a whole different animal! The plug is the rich side of coffee coloured, but the carb won't lean out any more! (Yes, I did trim the stoppers off, before anyone asks!)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I Take it its a later saw with the zama carb then? The walbros seem more tuneable on the 357.

Some ppl also say they cant get there saw to 4 stroke with the zama either. :confused1:

I Take it its a later saw with the zama carb then? The walbros seem more tuneable on the 357.

Some ppl also say they cant get there saw to 4 stroke with the zama either. :confused1:

Erm, it had carb limiters which were black and grey? Either way, the carb is tuned up enough and the saw is a stonker, despite having cost me less than £100 all in!

Looks like you have found out that the people who say to richen the saw after porting, really don't know what they are talking about.

This is true to a certain extent. Of course it depends on the saw and the carb. We also have to consider the source. Saws in the States are set up from the factory to be as lean as possible. On later model carbs, they went so far as to downsize the needles. The US has an extremely tough air pollution standard, and a large enough market where manufacturers can easily tailor make the products that wortk within it. The only diesel engines that pass the EPA standards are the Mercedes and VW 2.0's. You will not see another diesel car there. It's that and the fact Americans only like Italian cars they can't afford... And, well, no really really admits they like French cars :(

The tube is to strengthen it and ....it just makes it look finished and "right" rather than some hillbilly bodge. It will direct heat and gas where it can dissipate but I just liek to do a good finished job.

Best way of making a hole - you can fit your trained mouse with titanium gnashers or simply use a drill of your choice:001_rolleyes::lol:....sorry:001_tt2:

Just use a drill, relieve the hole until the tube is a snug fit and then angle and braze or weld it.

I dunno. I actually think tubes look vulgar. I prefer louvers. When done right, they look factory and are nearly invisible. Also, being from the old Mac and Homelite club, I am used to seeing them on mufflers as factory once upon a time.

154310752.mJn6ySba.jpg

154310754.I2nE2aHZ.jpg

chainsawr_5744404_medium.jpg?v=1320409842

chainsawparts2_9371475_medium.jpg?v=1384626786

Or else I try to hide the tube as much as possible...which isn't easy:

154158873.4ppNuF9l.jpg

Erm, it had carb limiters which were black and grey? Either way, the carb is tuned up enough and the saw is a stonker, despite having cost me less than £100 all in!

Bloody bargain mate! Cant moan at that in the slightest.

Yeah that'll be a zama EL 42 I believe. I got a new one here I bought for mine then found a walbro 199.

Ive got a new top end and carb sat waiting for a bargain blown saw.... they just don't crop up at the right price for me :001_rolleyes: Took a seized one to £150 on ebay and still went for more! Some people are just nuts what they are willing to pay considering on top of that they may have to buy a new top end.. :confused1:

Bloody bargain mate! Cant moan at that in the slightest.

Yeah that'll be a zama EL 42 I believe. I got a new one here I bought for mine then found a walbro 199.

Ive got a new top end and carb sat waiting for a bargain blown saw.... they just don't crop up at the right price for me :001_rolleyes: Took a seized one to £150 on ebay and still went for more! Some people are just nuts what they are willing to pay considering on top of that they may have to buy a new top end.. :confused1:

Haha, I'll have to see if my local dealer has any more buggered saws, just picked up a 346xpOE, 371xp and a 254xpg for next to nowt! :D