what does a firewood sale cost you in timber?

farmer_ben

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pallet weigher and use the 1 cube vented sacks. I fill them over full to allow for shrinkage and settling. I weigh them every now and again and it is rare that they weigh more than 500kgs fresh. Therefore I work on 1t = 2cube of 11inch logs. Or if the wagon brings 25-26t I want at least 50cube from it.

Sorry looks like I have caused confusion with my wood weights.

The weights I gave were actual samples from the crate so some may be a bit drier than others.

Yes the beech did sink in water as I was not sure my sums where right and yes I did not expect the piece of oak to be lighter than the ash but it was. I was only adding this information to give some idea of density of the wood in the crate not as general guide on species wet weights.

The beech :thumbup:

DSC02050.jpg.d4f9f83baef2e068ed3f7ef6fd0b46f7.jpg

Sorry looks like I have caused confusion with my wood weights.

The weights I gave were actual samples from the crate so some may be a bit drier than others.

Yes the beech did sink in water as I was not sure my sums where right and yes I did not expect the piece of oak to be lighter than the ash but it was. I was only adding this information to give some idea of density of the wood in the crate not as general guide on species wet weights.

The beech :thumbup:

I never knew that. You see all these check shirts in America jumping up and down on logs in the river and think all wood floats. But I guess softwood at 800kg does. And green beech does not. :thumbup:

People must be buying cord a lot cheaper than we are in the north east!

I bought stock in at £49 a ton delivered (plus vat - I'll discount this as I'm vat registered {volunteered,not through turnover!!!} ) and always work on 1.5 cube to a ton. Therefore, 49 divided by 1.5 equals £32.67 per cube. I sell a load for £80.95 (plus vat = £85) so the timber cost is 40%.

I am having serious doubts about continuing this year for two reasons - lack of hardwood available and the price it is - managed to get one load in but it is £55 per ton roadside plus vat plus haulage and this is the way it appears to be going.

We supply logs in NE as well, prices have fluctuated a lot in last few years! this is a very lively thread, I think we are all hoping our figures are ok at this time of year and we are actually making some money for all the hard work that has been put in!

We supply logs in NE as well, prices have fluctuated a lot in last few years! this is a very lively thread, I think we are all hoping our figures are ok at this time of year and we are actually making some money for all the hard work that has been put in!

Hi Ibought in last year at average £45 roadside now regularly hearing of 50 55 a tonne all these plus haulage!I run my own lorry and trailer but the haulage costs are still about 10 to15 depending on distance,truoble is I am in pembrokeshire and all the fc and large managed woods around here are softwood.

To sound even more grim A friend told me last night a large woodland management company

paid £55 a tonne for 3000 tonnes of STANDING hardwood how much is this going to be

roadside? Happy new year Big Chris.

Hi Ibought in last year at average £45 roadside now regularly hearing of 50 55 a tonne all these plus haulage!I run my own lorry and trailer but the haulage costs are still about 10 to15 depending on distance,truoble is I am in pembrokeshire and all the fc and large managed woods around here are softwood.

To sound even more grim A friend told me last night a large woodland management company

paid £55 a tonne for 3000 tonnes of STANDING hardwood how much is this going to be

roadside? Happy new year Big Chris.

Is that management company run by the biggest kiln dryer supplier as I've herd of them paying £75 per ton for graded stuff and they have been buying a lot of standing timber around us at silly money. I've been buying out of Shropshire at £55 a tonne as the supplier will not supply the above on principal.