Stump grinding rates/productivity...

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

I tend to price very high on stumps in small gardens and win them too.

However, I have a potential job coming up that would suit a more stable machine than our HB20 so I may be getting a larger one in to deal with the bigger stumps.

I am looking for comparisons (not wild guesses or boasts) for grinding 100 fir stumps in a flat plantation.

The trees are an 'average' of 40cm DBH

The stems vary from 55cm down to 20cm but the average mean DBH is 40cm when I counted them today.

I hope that gives an idea from experience of the size of stump.

IF a 35hp diesel grinder was used, how many per hour?

Also, what is the approx. hourly rate in the U.K for such a machine, just curious as I'm in France after all.

Regards

Ty

Edited by Ty Korrigan
Stuff often needs thinking about...

I have found over the years stumpy contractors have a whole array of pricing, from cost/inch, per stump or per day. Of course it depends how much profit you feel you wish to make, I have seen 'contractors' offer a day rate from £150 to £450. It appears you have a straightforward job which (whatever machine you use) will ruin a whole day, so perhaps charge your usual day rate + machine hire. The 362 you were considering would tackle it with ease in a day as would with any other hydraulic machine with sharp teeth.

If you are hiring, how about considering a PTO stumper? They do tend to be cheaper and your site seems open enough to get a tractor in.

Regards

The £1/cm is great on small quantities but could you really see this as a £4000 job?

1 day if they really are close together and an easy grind - you are giving yourself 5 minutes per stump over an 8 hour day so you have seconds between finishing one and starting the next

2 days sounds more realistic - 10 minute average per stump

Probably looking at day rate for 1 man plus machine hire x2 or if you want to be on the safe side 1 man 2 days with the hired in machine plus 1 man running your HB20 on the small ones. It really depends on the time between stumps.

I can hire a man with carlton hydraulic machine for £250 / day operated. £1000 should see the job done with a profit/bit of slack

Cheers for your responses, I appreciate them.

So how many of the larger stumps per day with a 35hp machine?

DBH being 55cm remember so stumps in proportion.

I've a very good idea of how the HB20 would perform, it's quick on smaller stumps but slow on larger ones which will take an hour+ each.

I think 25-30 per day of the smaller stumps is reasonable, I want them well ground out.

It will be 5 long physical days for the HB20 otherwise...

Ty

Price it around what you know it would cost you to do with your HB20 (ie 5 hard days) and then hire a bigger machine for a couple of days instead. At least you then have a bit of leeway if you need to run on to an extra day's hire, or you can come back and finish off with your own machine if there is still some to do. Don't forget to allow for spare teeth with the hire machine - not from a hire charge perspective but for speed of work if you are using it yourself.

Hello,

IF a 35hp diesel grinder was used, how many per hour?

Also, what is the approx. hourly rate in the U.K for such a machine, just curious as I'm in France after all.

We have hired in a big machines on big grinding jobs in the past including a 78hp carlton and they are obviously MUCH quicker then the little bandits. We have also just hired in a guy with a big grinder and found that the cost of doing that was not much different and a lot less hassle then doing it ourselves..