2 climbers?

Pete Mctree

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a total waste of a climber if it was a large tree which has scope for two climbers to work the crown then thats all fine and dandy.

but whats the point of having 2 on a pole? It takes what... 2mins to set everything up to waasss a top out, in that time the boyos on the ground can deal with the last load.

I don't get it? enlighten me.........

I agree with all you guys have said but remember we have been doing this for many years and mastered it easily.These climbers know what they are doing.That last top cut had to be secured before letting slide down.I taught these guys this technique and it works for us.After the top cut one climber came down the speedline and one finished the wood.never are the two climbers directly underneath each other.

Only thing with training vids, or any vids is there's always something that you will think, "should have done this or could have done that a bit better or that didn't look right"

To make a perfect vid take a lot of planning.

I did a video for careers information company, all professionally done and when you look at the completed vid you notice mistakes you wouldn't normally make :001_smile:

I have a copy of the video here, but I would only show trusted friends and then I'd have to shoot them once they'd seen it.

My vote is either insanity or the guy's are wanting to hold hands too much:001_tongue:

I can't see this system as either productive or safe. If the guy at the top of the tree were to gaff out he would take the other with him. Thoughts?

YouTube - Speedline Top

I'd have taken the tension out of the speedline, dropped the top into the block.....let it run the shock out.......then re-tensioned the speedline and run the top down the speedline using the lowering rope as they do at the end. Cant see much else wrong with it.

I'd have taken the tension out of the speedline, dropped the top into the block.....let it run the shock out.......then re-tensioned the speedline and run the top down the speedline using the lowering rope as they do at the end. Cant see much else wrong with it.

do you think the speedline is left tensioned to keep the top away from the pole and second climber?

if it was cut onto a rigging line as you would normally do it would shurely hit the lower guy?

do you think the speedline is left tensioned to keep the top away from the pole and second climber?

No, I reckon its left tensioned because these guys are experienced enough and familiar enough with that tree species they're climbing on to know it wont break with all that side shock loading.

Its a good video as it also shows why you should never position a Portawrap/Lowering Device in any other tree other than the one your removing otherwise you'll create excessive and unnecessary side loading like in the vid (even if you let the top run). In the vid they've created a big force thats trying to pull the stem over. I never use speedlines for that reason.

if it was cut onto a rigging line as you would normally do it would shurely hit the lower guy?

It would've run well away from the lower guy, look at the vid again, FWIW I'd never be involved in a removal that required having two climbers in that area of stem....even when training an apprentice climber.

so would you advocate using speedlined for decending from the tree

or did i miss read your post robdog

Why not it is as safe as a climbing line.This version is longer and shows the climber rideing the speedline after the top is cut.

[ame=http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=38339918]wts speedline Video by rob - MySpace Video[/ame]