Blakes hitch with a micro pulley.

Rowden the cowboy

I will take a pic tomorrow of it. Its weird because I wouldn't have thought it would self tend but it seems to. It has to be tied using only four wraps otherwise there is too much friction. The best thing to do is to just try it if you have got a split tail kicking about just tie a short blakes hitch and shove a pulley behind it. Id be interested to know what you think

did u ever manage to get any pic mate i was intrested to see it as i like usin the blakes hitch

In esscence, any friction hitch will self tend with a pulley behind becuase the pulley is just doing your hands job for you. However a Blakes will not "break" like a v.t so can't run as smoothly up the rope. I've tried.

I think I must understand the phrase "self-tend" differently from you then.

I understood self-tending to be when the climbing line slips down through your hitch as you climb the tree i.e. you can be simply climbing without any hands on the rope (just using both arms on branches etc) and the rope will glide through the hitch. Then when you stop and sit back it grips.

I can see how a blake's and a pulley makes one handed slack-tendering possible, but not self tending.

Am I confused?:001_unsure:

Hmm, yes you are confused but that has nothing to do with it.

You can self-tend with a Blakes but you need another small prussik hitched onto the attachment end of your rope, ie, spliced eye, then attach that to the micro pulley.

You can then pull up the rope hand over hand.

Just a pulley with the Blake hitch is slack tending.

Maybe though, I am confused?

Edited by High Scale

ha ha i se what you mean the blakes will not self tend but as you pull down on the rope it is pulled up the rope by the pully

it will not feed rope through unless you pull down on the tail of the rope:thumbup1:

Hmm, yes you are confused but that has nothing to do with it.

You can self-tend with a Blakes but you need another small prussik hitched onto the attachment end of your rope, ie, spliced eye, then attach that to the micro pulley.

You can then pull up the rope hand over hand.

Just a pulley with the Blake hitch is slack tending.

Maybe though, I am confused?

got a pic,never seen a blakes like that before but very interested and I am feeling confused too

I think I must understand the phrase "self-tend" differently from you then.

I understood self-tending to be when the climbing line slips down through your hitch as you climb the tree i.e. you can be simply climbing without any hands on the rope (just using both arms on branches etc) and the rope will glide through the hitch. Then when you stop and sit back it grips.

I can see how a blake's and a pulley makes one handed slack-tendering possible, but not self tending.

Am I confused?:001_unsure:

Sorry, I meant you can slack tend any friction hitch with a pulley but some "break" and slide alot easier. Then again I understood "self tending" to mean you pull your rope, your pulley see's to your knot. Same as if you just go up hand over hand and your groundie pulls the other end, the knot tends to itself???

Any more confused??:lol: