Cheaper brand saws

njc110381

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... How much does a 15" bar and chain weigh?...

It rather depends on the bar maker and whether or not it's a light-weight model. But a std. 15" Husky bar with .325", about 1.25kg

990g = 15" (std Husky) bar weight apx.

250g = 15" chain weight apx.

400g = avg. full fuel tank weight

390g = avg. full oil tank weight

2030g apx. total

But rounded to 2kg overall.

Pedant me - when I was searching for a suitable saw, I took the stated weight and added weights for required bar length, desired chain, full tanks of fuel & oil.

A rough estimate for std. bar and chain, equals 83g per 1" in bar length

Edited by TGB

I have 2 Stihl machines and 2 Echo machines. I can tell you with out doubt the Echo are way better quality than Stihl and Husky for that matter (the Huskys I have handled). They start better sound better and use less fuel. It's in the detail as well, for instance my Stihls have steel mufflers both rusting a little, but both Echos have Stainless steel mufflers.

Don't think Echo are cheap machines, they are not. Try one, you'll never have another brand.

Marc.

I've been reading through the topic about the new saw for a groundy and it got me thinking. Not wanting to derail that thread, I started this one.

I'm thinking I could do with a similar saw (15" bar) for my gardening business but as I don't run a saw day in, day out I was very interested by the comment made by wyk about the Shindaiwa and Echo saws. Does anyone here run either of those? How well do they last?

On paper the Shindaiwa looks better. Lower cc but more hp, and the weight is better for the Shindaiwa. I have one of their long reach hedge cutters and it has lasted me years, so it's not bad kit in my experience. The chap I sub for has the same tool made by Echo, which is also pretty good. I'd happily put either head to head with a Stihl, especially in a weight and balance contest !echo a cheaper brand? how dare you? only joking :001_smile: maybe perceived as a cheaper image but I can assure you they have a build quality above anything on the market IMO,i have echo toppers,trimmers and pole saw,great kit,but their top line saws are bang on,i have cs550 and cs610,smooth as a babies bum in the hands,economical,ultra reliable.downside is they're virtually the price of stihl/husky now...but then they should be cos they're as good if not better :thumbup:

I've pretty much always been a Stihl or Husky man. My first two saws were a Husky 254xp and a top handled thing... 336xpt maybe? Then I used a Stihl ms200t and never looked back. The balance was much improved so I bought a 200t for myself along with an ms260 and an ms660 as the 254 was getting tired. I still have the 200t and 660, but sold the 260 when work went quiet. I figured I could use the 660 on the ground for light felling and snedding with a short bar but actually, it tires me out much faster and I have to admit to using the 200t on the ground. Not ideal.

My main worry is that I will find the Shindaiwa a bit second rate? I've always run what I consider to be some of the best saws on the market at the time but with my current work I just cannot justify spending the money on a Stihl ms261. That's what I would buy if money was no object but the new mog has reduced my will to spend much more for now!

!echo a cheaper brand? how dare you? only joking :001_smile: maybe perceived as a cheaper image but I can assure you they have a build quality above anything on the market IMO,i have echo toppers,trimmers and pole saw,great kit,but their top line saws are bang on,i have cs550 and cs610,smooth as a babies bum in the hands,economical,ultra reliable.downside is they're virtually the price of stihl/husky now...but then they should be cos they're as good if not better :thumbup:

After all this pro Echo chat, I think what I'm after is the CS450. Only trouble I'm having is that on the web shop I'm looking at there is only a 16" bar option? The CS420 (which shares the same crank case according to another thread) can have several choices. Does anyone know if the 420 bars fit the 450? For a light ground saw 15" is plenty. There's only an inch in it so it's not the end of the world, but not having any choice would annoy me!

After all this pro Echo chat, I think what I'm after is the CS450. Only trouble I'm having is that on the web shop I'm looking at there is only a 16" bar option? The CS420 (which shares the same crank case according to another thread) can have several choices. Does anyone know if the 420 bars fit the 450? For a light ground saw 15" is plenty. There's only an inch in it so it's not the end of the world, but not having any choice would annoy me!

I'm sure if you ring them prior to ordering they can do another bar option? Certainly a proper Graden Machinery co will; such as Radmore & Tucker...