How did you get work when you first started out?

Big T

Took the bull by the horns on Saturday..........There is a local car dealership that has put up a 40ft Xmas tree, I dropped in there and asked if they had plans to dispose of it. Turns out that they didint so I left a card with them and got a phonecall this morning......! The tree is not an easy fell as there are cars all over the place, including two new Celica`s right under it! Went to meet the chap in charge and explained that it would be best to dismantle it due to the wind and the cars being in the way. It would also need to be done out of hours as they didnt want to deter customers due to the nature of the job. No worries I said, I can do it tonight if you want! To which he replied, "It will of course be free of charge"! PMSL!!! To which I replied, I cant do it for free as its not an easy job with the cars and all, to which he replied "You can have the wood"! There is about £20 quids worth of wood in it! I had to keep a straight face, thank him for his time and walk away. I felt like saying, "Ok, no worries.......how about you give me a new Hilux at cost price................!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took the bull by the horns on Saturday..........There is a local car dealership that has put up a 40ft Xmas tree, I dropped in there and asked if they had plans to dispose of it. Turns out that they didint so I left a card with them and got a phonecall this morning......! The tree is not an easy fell as there are cars all over the place, including two new Celica`s right under it! Went to meet the chap in charge and explained that it would be best to dismantle it due to the wind and the cars being in the way. It would also need to be done out of hours as they didnt want to deter customers due to the nature of the job. No worries I said, I can do it tonight if you want! To which he replied, "It will of course be free of charge"! PMSL!!! To which I replied, I cant do it for free as its not an easy job with the cars and all, to which he replied "You can have the wood"! There is about £20 quids worth of wood in it! I had to keep a straight face, thank him for his time and walk away. I felt like saying, "Ok, no worries.......how about you give me a new Hilux at cost price................!

If there is any justice it will blow over this afternoon and Land on a new Amazon :lol:

Get into you work Clothes and knock on some Doors .Have a nice folder with your insurance papers and any quals you may have.If you have no work,this won't make you have any less.

What he said and don't quit until some one give u job

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

i'll have been on my own two years in April, I felt and had the same worries as you ,but like other people have said I did the flyers,did the local magazine (which I still do ) I tried adwords but gave up on that, found a great cheap web designer and he has got me on the first page and I've pretty much stayed there. The best thing I did was join checkatrade. I've heard people put it down, but I think it's great, the amount of work I've got through it is amazing and has really kept me going. If you've got any spare cash I would invest in checkatrade you will not regret it.

You've got to be careful with adwords as sometimes the whole frontpage of the search will just be advertising companies like gumtree and rated people, and it's a hard job to get in front of a website with 100x of times more pages than you on the subject. So paying a guy to do your SEO will lead you to getting no further up the listing but out of pocket.