Paleo diet for arborists

Steve Bullman

How come so many of these 'wonder diet' authors and exponents are American? Is it their long tradition of Evangelism and travelling medicine shows?

Seems to me that people long for a crutch and along comes the the latest clean cut, smiling Evangelist and the bandwagon's soon full to capacity. Once on it's difficult to jump ship as saving face would cause too much embarrassment. A bit like The Emperor's New Clothes.

Believe nothing you hear and half you see:001_smile:

I just listen to the theory, if it adds up I take it on board.

If your in the same position as Tony S and are fit as a flea on your current diet great, but I have high blood pressure (HT) for no known reason, I'm not over weight, leed an active life and my blood levels (cholesterol, etc) are all good. The doctors don't know why its high, they want to put me on meds, I'm less than keen.

I heard on the net that spikes in blood sugar can cause HT, it makes sense IMO, I know that on my old diet I would get sugar highs and then crash, plus I felt bloated after bread or spuds, so I thought this diet was worth a shot.

I feel so much better than I did, I often had headaches in the afternoons, I put them down to dehydration, but I've not had once since cutting down the carbs and my BP is consistently lower.

How come so many of these 'wonder diet' authors and exponents are American? Is it their long tradition of Evangelism and travelling medicine shows?

Seems to me that people long for a crutch and along comes the the latest clean cut, smiling Evangelist and the bandwagon's soon full to capacity. Once on it's difficult to jump ship as saving face would cause too much embarrassment. A bit like The Emperor's New Clothes.

Believe nothing you hear and half you see:001_smile:

I see your point. I think the difference on this thread is that it's not really a case of 'you must follow this exactly and eat only X Y Z'. Hell, we're not really even discussing strictly Paleo, it's a combination of Paleo, gluten free, keto, low carb and carb cycling depending upon the individual poster! :lol:

Bottom line is, if what you are eating works for you, then fantastic. My labourer is fit as a fiddle, six pack and all, and eats four baguettes a day. When that was me, I was 14 stone. Now I'm 11st 2lb at 6' tall.

I will never ever go back, and I'm really pleased to see others saying the same thing.

@ Tapautreeman- my advice would be to go for it, and try to kick the milk. You may well develop a taste for bitter black coffee after dropping the sugar- I did.

A true Paleo diet would indeed cut out the cheese. However, mature cheeses have pretty much none of the lactose sugars which are in milk, and some people, myself included, believe that as the macros of mature cheese are pretty good (high fat, moderate protein) then it's OK.

Either way if you've kicked the processed food, then you're in the top 10% of the population. :thumbup1:

Are you allowed honey ?

This sums it up:

"As with some other Paleo foods, just because it’s Paleo does not mean that you should eat it. People who are trying to lose weight should avoid honey, as well as people who are trying to become ketogenic. Also, if eating honey gets you started down the slippery slope towards consuming other sweet things that are not Paleo, you might want to avoid it for that reason.

"

From thepaleolist.com

Personally I avoid it.