Knots used in treework

Sciadopitys

Hi all, i have been looking at knots used in treework recently and i wondered how many arborists are actually using these knots. I know there are common knots that we all use everyday, but there will be others that are used infrequently that maybe would be useful to know. So who is using what knot for what purpose?

I presume we all use cow hitch and timber hitch for attaching harware to a tree and half hitch and a running bowline to block down sections. And blakes hitch / VT / Distel for friction hitch. I know the alpine butterfly which i use sometimes for creating a 3-1 mechanical advantage to pull a tree over if i don't have the gear with me to make a 5-1 system, but often wonder of the other uses for this knot. Also, bowline on a bight, know how to tie it, never used it in my work. What is it good for guys?

Discuss any knots - i am interested!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

timber hitch, prussik and one for attaching a rope to a toe bar(2 loops)and thats it mate.all my ropes have eyes on them.simples. but i would like to learn more, but i can never remember them. oh and a reef knot that i was taught in the girl guides

haha, tooo easy.:lol:

I only ever use a bowline with a yosemite tie off, just cos I like it slightly neater. Use half fishermans knot for all rope treminations.

Alpine butterfly is good for attaching to tow bar. Bowline on a bight I use for attaching to the large eye underneath a tracked chipper for pulling stuff over. I think Karabiners do limit your knot "needing" alot. However I also believe that an arsenal of knots is very important. Good thread Ed.