What brand or model of portable bandsaw have I missed?

difflock

Just to add to my ongoing analysis paralysis. in respect of bandsaw choice.

I have been fixated on

(i) either Mainstream UK imported models.

Or

(ii) something sourced in the US or Canada.

Surely there is some manufacturer in the rest of Europe (Italy or Scandanavia) that should be competitive.

Pezzalato/Forestor from Italy is all I have found so far, through their UK importer.

Marcus

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(i) trekkasaw not really what ( I think) I am looking for

(ii) Yes Woodmizer is (still) in contention, poor reputation in some eyes, or for some applications , this may have unduly influenced me.

The LT20B could be a contender, but I did not need (or even want) the extra complication of "Set Works" :confused1: whatever they are.

But then I should wait until they introduce the promised (on the Irish Wood-Mizer site leastwise) hydraulic varient of the LT20B:001_rolleyes:

I like my hydraulics:blushing:.

regards,

Marcus

Can you wait until the APF in Sept 2014?

Will be plenty on show there I expect...

I can see where the dilemma is - Woodmiser put huge amounts of energy into branding, marketing and going to shows - successfully I might add...

From speaking to people I would say they are prob not the best brand in terms of design or build quality - but it's an easy brand to buy, information is accessible, parts are accessible, you know what you're getting.

No doubt there are lots of other manufacturers out there that produce better built bandsaws (what about Big Js bandsaw - he was saying they do a smaller version than his?).

Trouble is like a lot of things - you can have excellent build quality of something, a good price but....

... if you don't have proper distribution and marketing at the other end it is meaningless...

:001_smile:

Ah, yes, bloody annoying that Rob.

I was salivating at getting a LogMaster LM15, cept before Jonothan got sufficient orders.

That firm apparently went into "voluntary bankruptcy"/Section 11 or whatever.

On 16th Dec, per a Forestry Forum post anyways.

They had had a fresh traded in (again a larger model) up-specced LM15 that ticked ALL my boxs.

But anyway after a refreshing chat with JB I am firmly in the notion of importing.

Either probably a Turner Hydraulic, (based on VFM)

or a Cooks LP32 (based on my impressions of the Company's ethos and their limited, but well engineered product portfolio)

btw Rob,

You perfectly summed up my feelings about the Woodmizer brand and its slick marketing operation, (a kinda like Massey Ferguson tractors were a wheen o year ago here in Northern Ireland)

Cheer all

Marcus

Hey!!

I might take my new imported Saw to APF 2014 and bag a few orders

( Cos I know a guy in China who will "bang out" the "CE" conformity stickers and associated paperwork:lol:)

Edited by difflock

Set works once your used to it is a doddle, but agreed the old manual system is so easy.

Our wm1000 is artworks and our lt40 is the old manual system

It's not to say that they do not produce mills that do not cut good boards, but the issues are many. Firstly, they are too expensive. An LT40 with a few options if £35k. Whilst mine isn't as mobile, it does everything an LT40 does, and most of it better for £21k. Secondly, running them is too expensive - parts are all custom, even the parts that shouldn't be have often been subtly altered so you have to buy everything from WM. My last parts order before I sold my mill was nearly £900. Thirdly, they are so damned fiddly and complicated that you are best advised to use one of the WM reps to service your mill. Until recently, that meant whatever rate the individual mechanic saw fit to charge. Now it all goes through WM UK at £50 an hour, and the reps are contractually bound to only do work through WM. Finally, the set works are a waste of time. No matter how well set up they are, they will not produce boards of even thickness consistently - mine was 'perfectly set up' on it's final service for me, including a new vertical raise/lower chain and it still lost a few millimetres here and there. The best way to get accurate boards is to use a manual scale. If you want 35mm boards, go down in increments of 38mm (3mm for kerf). You cannot go wrong that way.

Difflock - there are very few European makers of band mills. There are a few in Germany, Serra and Wimmer to name a couple. They really are the Rolls Royces of bandmills though and are well outside your budget. German Ebay throws up a few, though less than last time I looked. Search for Sagewerk.

Regarding the US makers, your budget is such that it puts you at the top end of the manual market and the very bottom of the hydrualic market. Cook saw and Turner are both good makes. I'd advise chatting to both of them.

Jonathan

Cheers,

JB suggested I try

Expeditors International of Washington, Inc. | Home

for a "door to door" shipping quote, (but I could not get them today) as it is all apparently quite straightforward.

Since I should probably budget for 40' ISO Container;

Anyone want to pitch in with sommat from either Turner (NY State) or Cooks (Alabama?) to share a relatively empty container, I presume it should be possible to "sardine" 2 No. 6.0m length of cut mills in.

If I am doing business with Cooks, I will possibly/probably buy their Hydraulic powered sharpner and also their tooth setter.

Still to get firm UK prices for the 1400/1600 TimberKing mind.

Time enough to early/mid January.

Cheers all

Marcus

edit

To be upfront if anyone wishes to share the Container costs;

I would require them to pay the American supplier directly, to avoid any possible "CE" issues.

Then pro-rata the shipping costs based on the relative cost of the contents for each party.

And the Container to be delivered to Belfast or Dublin docks.

Edited by difflock