Tree's failing?.....So move the target.

David Humphries

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was subject of an in-depth report 2 years ago which found via tomography,(not surprisingly) extensive decay.

A significant reduction was proscribed, the circular bench removed, mulched, fenced & under canopy soil injected with slow release nutrients and mycorrhiza

Particularly like the way they have managed the target here.

IMG_8177.JPG.d6ab4c92c60f5c089748e601d0495ebd.JPG

IMG_8181.JPG.d9377a17586fa1840abaed98dad4e362.JPG

IMG_8184.JPG.ae660d4bb6c6b51f8b41fce37143769f.JPG

IMG_8179.jpg.ac4a4ff837826578b22e1dfa139ab5ff.jpg

IMG_8176.JPG.49fe4ce6bc67ee3aa4ac2e8c21e1a92c.JPG

IMG_8166.jpg.c220f10d37d901b68b5fad8c85fd7819.jpg

Has someone been reading the tree its last rights?

If not why is there a bible and a crucifix in the third picture?

Going back to the management of the first tree, I can see the arguments on both sides.

However I fall firmly in the retention camp. If we cannot hang on to trees such as these where there is the space and funds available to do so, where can we?

I am sure there is plenty of new panting also going on in the park. No?

?.......

Going back to the management of the first tree, I can see the arguments on both sides.

However I fall firmly in the retention camp. If we cannot hang on to trees such as these where there is the space and funds available to do so, where can we?

There is some new planting, but it's a diverse site and mostly left to (managed) natural regeneration.

It's the biodiversity of the older trees that's difficult to replace when they're gone.

New threats and p&d coming along all the time.

Has someone been reading the tree its last rights?

If not why is there a bible and a crucifix in the third picture?

That sort of park, eh? :biggrin:

You guys are a trip. :laola:

2nd pic shows photosynthetic resources pushing back, upper right. But still ~40% of circ seems lost.

2nd pic lower I wonder if associate plantings have been considered for rotted-out areas. Maybe a vine or shrub started under the crack might benefit the tree, and itself? Maybe bring in a healthy associate like Vacccinium that was growing near a healthy

5th pic: was a machete used on an unappreciated vine in the past?

Cracking good job on the reduction: reestablished symmetry, cuts made to concentrations of vitality aka nodes.

Reading the tree's instructions: :thumbup:

But I'm not sure that moving the bench was not a bit overdone. Seriously, what is likely to fail, where?

Edited by treeseer

But I'm not sure that moving the bench was not a bit overdone. Seriously, what is likely to fail, where?

Speculation, but I wonder if that relates more to compaction than to risk?

It has left the path a bit odd though - the perfectionist in me wants to run a Breedon gravel pathway around the front and install a nice information board just inside the railings :blushing::ohmy:

Alec