Land Rover driving through flooded roads

chopperpete

Does anyone know what powers the Police or LA have to close a flooded road seemingly on a whim? Normally it would require a Traffic Regulation Order I would have thought, and evidently most flood closures dont have one.

The power to close the road to some or all uses is defined under the Road Traffic Act 1984 as amended. If my understanding is correct it is because of "likelihood of danger to the public, or of serious damage to the road, " grounds and this type of closure doesn't need the statuary notice before the closure takes affect.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the flip side had that fast trac been @ full bore the lr would have been drowned then what ,dead engine no control tips into the river 2 dead bods for the trout to nibble @ ,and a huge cost to the tax payers to fined ther remaines ,

numptys :thumbdown:

+1

Hows the landy gonna deal with a missing manhole, wandering off the tarmac into a ditch, leaking snorkel?? Once hes stuck hows he gonna get out?? Sit on the roof and die of hypothermia, wade out and get washed away?

Every landy around these parts would never be seen near that!! The other day we saw one stop by a puddle so he didn't have to drive through it and splash up his nice truck. Very few are used for the kind of work they're designed for, just school runs and towing a caravan once a year.

+1

Hows the landy gonna deal with a missing manhole, wandering off the tarmac into a ditch, leaking snorkel?? Once hes stuck hows he gonna get out?? Sit on the roof and die of hypothermia, wade out and get washed away?

No problem. Just call emergency services and they'll be out to rescue them. They should then be presented with the bill:001_smile:

I know that road well, there is no way I would attempt that. The flooded section of road is getting on for quarter of mile, twisty, quite narrow, with very soft verges and no kerb. There is no way of knowing how deep the water is all the way through from the start, and you can't see how strong the current is either.

The driver made a great job of it, in a well equipped vehicle, but he was lucky to make it through without incident.

The police could hardly say he was a hero and encourage others to follow his example, even the driver himself said he'd go the long way home.

on the flip side had that fast trac been @ full bore the lr would have been drowned then what ,dead engine no control tips into the river 2 dead bods for the trout to nibble @ ,and a huge cost to the tax payers to fined ther remaines ,

numptys :thumbdown:

In that situation the tractor driver would properly face charges of causing death by dangerous driving.

The power to close the road to some or all uses is defined under the Road Traffic Act 1984 as amended. If my understanding is correct it is because of "likelihood of danger to the public, or of serious damage to the road, " grounds and this type of closure doesn't need the statuary notice before the closure takes affect.

Thank you, that answers my question perfectly.

+1

The things that bug me most about this particular film clip are 1) why has nobody criticised the tractor driver? If it was dangerous for one (holes in road, washed out bridges, etc) then it was for both. Both vehicles were evidently suitable, so you can't argue it's ok in a tractor but not ok in what is clearly a deep-wading prepared Landrover. 2) Everyone is judging the LR driver without (as far as I know) knowing anything about his local knowledge. It looks to me from the clip that he knows the road very well, he knows where it's deeper and shallower, he knows where the crown and edges are, and the extent of the camber. He quite possibly knows where any manholes are. He appears to me to have the right knowledge, right skills, and right equipment to undertake a trip most of us couldn't. To that extent he's not doing anything more dangerous than a tricky rock climb, for example, and we don't condemn that.

I agree that the police can't congratulate this guy and have to use the incident to discourage less skilled stupid types from doing the same, but the police PR on this was crass to an alarming degree.

I will be amongst the first to condemn those who drive unnecessarily through flooded streets and force bow waves into peoples homes, or drive their Audis into floods and drown them, etc, but I absolutely will not condemn everyone on the basis that if someone can't do it, no-one should be allowed to.

We all fell trees, a hazardous undertaking, and we rightly criticise Joe Public when he comes to grief doing it. What makes us safe (well, safer) is we have the skills, tools, and knowledge to assess and minimise the risks, just like, I suggest, the Welney driver appears to have in those circumstances.