tandem trailer towing laws ?? question help please

predator

For the definative answer call VOSA and explain exactly what you do/want to do and they'll be happy to answer!!

I'd do this.

But do it by email, if the reply is positive, print a copy off and keep it in the truck.

Oh, and let the rest of us know as this is something we do on sites but not on the road yet

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do this.

But do it by email, if the reply is positive, print a copy off and keep it in the truck.

Oh, and let the rest of us know as this is something we do on sites but not on the road yet

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App

But, its a multi agency thing and VOSA are the wrong agency to ask.

People call this a grey area but it only seems that way because they haven't looked into it enough.

Ask VOSA and they might tell you they have nothing against it but that bit of paper wont be a defence when the police prosecute if you are driving otherwise than in accordance, nor will it help you when HMCE have any issues with fuel usage.

h,mm its then still in the starting gate then as i see it!! Do i dont i ? so to speak as i,am about to fit a tow ball hitch n breakaway chain to the rear of my trailer today and have already got the lights etc .Iam going to ask a traffic officer or maybe send an email to mary bell who,s i think in charge of the northwest traffic regulations i,ve also been reading on type approved laws aswell still very confusing for me as my jeep is a 1997 and the towbar law was ammended to eu laws in 1998 you cant just make n fit a towbar now well thats how i,ve read it as its got to be type approved and tagged up for mr vosa so may talk myself into just double running but then again my gear will have gone by the time i return log/tree fairys etc. I just though be sensable and use it local no motorways etc just from a to b steady as she goes as in use common sense 30/40 mph when allowed etc oh and while i,am on i looked up the differance of a trailer and and impliment al i get is a vehicle is powered and a trailer is,nt so whats an impliment then ??? brains fried today lol

h,mm its then still in the starting gate then as i see it!! Do i dont i ? so to speak as i,am about to fit a tow ball hitch n breakaway chain to the rear of my trailer today and have already got the lights etc .Iam going to ask a traffic officer or maybe send an email to mary bell who,s i think in charge of the northwest traffic regulations i,ve also been reading on type approved laws aswell still very confusing for me as my jeep is a 1997 and the towbar law was ammended to eu laws in 1998 you cant just make n fit a towbar now well thats how i,ve read it as its got to be type approved and tagged up for mr vosa so may talk myself into just double running but then again my gear will have gone by the time i return log/tree fairys etc. I just though be sensable and use it local no motorways etc just from a to b steady as she goes as in use common sense 30/40 mph when allowed etc oh and while i,am on i looked up the differance of a trailer and and impliment al i get is a vehicle is powered and a trailer is,nt so whats an impliment then ??? brains fried today lol

Did you read my earlier post? Mary Bell is a traffic commissioner, she is in charge of VEHICLE operations in her area and she is entirely the wrong person to ask.

A traffic officer is nearer the mark but since this is a DRIVING LICENCE issue the DVLA would be the appropriate authority.

If you want to do it just get on with it, I know others that do it but they know they are breaking the law.

Ask yourself this, if it were legal, why don't you see people doing it on a daily basis?

Ask yourself this, if it were legal, why don't you see people doing it on a daily basis?

May be if more people did it we would not need to ask if it is right to do so.

By reading all posts best thing you can do is take picture of set up and send to all of mentioned authority and see what answer you get. But please let us know how you get on.