ms261c-m or 550xp

Dave Launder

I have always been a stihl man, I trained on a 026, have always used 020 and 200 top handles, used a 441 and 461 and had a super reliable 260 as my small ground saw until it was stolen earlier this year. There is an excellent main Stihl dealer nearby with whom I have a good relationship (there is not really a local Husqvarna dealer). However, I bought a 261 to replace the stolen 260 and it has given me trouble from the start despite not being used hard. I now need another small ground saw and despite all the above and a bench full of Stihl parts and spare chains I am going for 550xp. That must tell you something!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 550 is a year old and has been back to the dealer 5 times!

2 upgrades

new starter assembly

choke lever not staying in choke position

and the same choke lever problem again now.

when running though shes lovely.

i would like to try a 261

my 6month old 441 is catching up the 550 mind

new carb

then would idle

now idles better but still not right and is now high speed is too low, so in again

both saws in with dealer during this busy call out time grrrr

good old trusty 240 and 440 back in action!

Surely the people saying that 261's are the best are just 261 owners in denial. No way can anyone say that objectively!

I dont say they are the best. I do own one. It is a tool nothing more....

Its worked fine for me up to now and ive never touched anything...

Just giving my findings on one i own...

If i needed another 50cc saw.... not sure if i would get another or go older and get a 260 or a 254xp :001_smile:

550 without a doubt

Very true - the MS261 simply isn't really qualified as a contender in the 50cc class, because of bulk, weight, and most of all the sluggish handling.

Trigger responsiveness also is bad on the standard version, but I can't comment on how the new cm version is in that regard.

Very true - the MS261 simply isn't really qualified as a contender in the 50cc class, because of bulk, weight, and most of all the sluggish handling.

Trigger responsiveness also is bad on the standard version, but I can't comment on how the new cm version is in that regard.

that's not the ms261 that I have got then:lol::lol::lol:

Same here. Has this thread bashing the ms261/anything stihl not been done 100 times by now? They're just saws! They cut wood, you get paid and go home! Mine and others work perfectly.

Yes, but I wanna finish earlier, not have to work over doing repairs on a saw, hence why the huskys are better, and the argument that it has .1kW of power more than a 550xp, or more torque is irrelevant, nobody can notice that low an amount of power, and I have yet to meet people who operate the saw in the max torque band for extended periods

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App