Recession, or not?

Andy Collins

So, given the news lately, with the doom-mongers and politicians spreading misery throughout the civilised world, how are you guys at the pit-face finding it? I must admit, going through the books for the end of the year, that things were actually better than I thought. Yes, I had a longer quieter period through the winter than I would have liked, but over the year things have averaged out quite well. Here's to a brighter 2009/10.:001_smile:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

January and Febuary were really slow for us but the jobs are flying now..wahoo!!! Towards the end of last year was the bussiest we've ever been though. i no some people have been hit hard but i dont think its as bad as we're bein led to believe?

I think its a bit like when it snows in London, BIG new, even if its not snowing any where else.

This down turn has really hit the big boys, bankers etc, so its big news, I thought that things had gone quieter than normal over the winter, but in reality I'm not sure if it wasn't the normal seasonal slow.

I have never run out of work and have lost a few jobs of late due to not getting to them in time, the phone has just run, it was a lady who's been waiting since November, wanting to know when I'm coming.

I've let five lads go in the last six months and have kept my best three lads and have one student on work placement and have two out of three trucks and chippers parked up and using them on rotation to make sure that there not going to costs too much to put back on the road, to top if off today my Carlton grinder has just blown its engine today.

But looking back on my sales last year the boys are working really well and are turning over a little bit less than last year but cost are down by thousands and profit are up :tongue_smilie: as a percentage :drool::drool:

Still not too good here. Annual turnover down by 20%, costs the same if not more thanks to increase business rates water rates etc etc.

Phone just isnt ringing like it should, was speaking to a few lads last couple of weeks (4 different companies operating at least 5+years) they say the same so at least it aint just me :sad:

same here

ithink people are not moving home but making home improvements instead extensions etc

therefore those problem trees have to go

Exactly that. Was looking at some work with another surgeon tonight which he wants help with. He said that beck in the 80's people did exactly that- home improvements, hence workload went right up, as it seems to be a bit now.:001_smile: But, after about 2 years things quietened down almost overnight! :scared1:Everyone thought each other was taking work!