Self sharpening your chipper blades

Dryar123

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's steep but I recently got quoted £40 for a regrind of a 4 inch set of blades.

Bloody el that is steep! i used to take mine to saturn machine knives to get them sharpened but it was a real ball ache taking them to sheffield and waiting with them! i found a company 5 miles away that sharpen them for £6 a set. I just take them straight down and they put them straight on the lathe and do them there and then. only takes 10 mins pays to shop around

Adapted mower blade grinder, takes any blade and can do six timberwolf blades in one go ( takes less than five minutes). Fully automatic and adjustable , well under a grand. Has been doing a good job of our blades for over 15 years.

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=144134&stc=1&d=1387914456

5976678ee21c6_aspengear002.jpg.3c6eb42c2340299396fc66e06570cbce.jpg

• 10 years later...

A set of digital bathroom scales will sort out any weight issues. 

However, a few grams isn't going to make much difference. When you consider that when timber is going through the flywheel that's turning anti clockwise, 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock is loaded with chip, then 12 o'clock back around to 6 o'clock is largely empty.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Jo Beau M500. I few years ago they global recycling quoted me nearly £300 for a set of knives. I was in disbelief. I decided to sharpen them myself. They weren't at a stage where they were heavily chipped, just very dull

. I decided to skim them with an angle grinder using a flap sanding disk. I've now done this for about two years regularly to the same knives and I have them still working and same bearings since I got the machine about 4 years ago. As long as you aren't stripping a lot of metal back that will seriously imbalance the weight on the knives, it's not an issue.