LogPro - FREE Biomass Firewood Kiln

Duffryn

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on your website it says you need roughly 4 ton of fuel to do a complete cycle. is this 4 ton of green wood or wood that is at 20% moisture?

Hi,

Our examples given are based on 20% m/c fuel ( we specify this on the site) . You could use a higher m/c (up to 35% but this would take longer to achieve a cycle.

A cycle is based on achieving a reduction in m/c of 20% on the logs loaded into the kiln. How you load them is critical as well. To achieve the results quoted you need to use IBC crates or metal stillage's. Potato crates and vented log bags can be used as well but these reduce the drying time by up to 50%.

I hope this helps ?

ok well i think it is slightly misleading on your website to say a ton of wood is assumed to cost £40 when that is the price for green wood before Haulage. i think you are looking at it costing more like £90 a ton for wood at 20% moisture, this might make a bit of a difference for some peoples costings.

ok well i think it is slightly misleading on your website to say a ton of wood is assumed to cost £40 when that is the price for green wood before Haulage. i think you are looking at it costing more like £90 a ton for wood at 20% moisture, this might make a bit of a difference for some peoples costings.

Far from it, if you could not get any more 20% m/c wood and were selling from stock that you could otherwise get £90 for then yes a fair point.

BUT with LogPro you can dry more £40 green wood in less than 3.5 days and so there is no opportunity cost just the cost of the green wood and between £0 and £10 a ton to dry depending on your source of fuel.

so to clarify this for me. when you say it takes 4 tons of logs roughly in a cycle is that weighed when all moisture is in, then dried and used or is it 4 tons of wood at 20% moisture? not trying to pick holes but i am sure you will appreciate there is a big difference here and with the price of wood rapidly rising i dont think it is nearly as cheap as you are claiming.

so to clarify this for me. when you say it takes 4 tons of logs roughly in a cycle is that weighed when all moisture is in, then dried and used or is it 4 tons of wood at 20% moisture? not trying to pick holes but i am sure you will appreciate there is a big difference here and with the price of wood rapidly rising i dont think it is nearly as cheap as you are claiming.

No problem a perfectly reasonable question.

A cycle is 3.5 days maximum to reduce 20% moisture from a load of 40m3. The logs could be 60% m/c or 40% m/c which is why we quote the load in m3 and not tonnes. To fuel the boiler for 2.5 to 3.5 days will take no more than 4 tonnes of 20% m/c wood. We specify this is tonnes because we have specified the m/c.

Don't forget that most of our customers will be using processor waste or waste wood to power the boiler so using logs is the worst case scenario in terms of fuel cost. We have gone overboard to make sure that we are upfront, open and honest in all our claims. We quote the worst case fuel cost first and the most likely and cheaper fuel sources second.

A really important point to remember here is that we only make our money if the firewood merchant is happy and uses and KEEPS the kiln our interests are thus totally aligned. What's more we guarantee the kilns performance on a first four weeks trial basis.

I hope this helps

ok thanks. just speaking for our company, we will process 1000 ton of hardwood next year and really the only waste wood is saw dust. so for me looking at your kiln i have to see the 4 tons to fuel 1 complete cycle as a direct cost to the business. so in the worst case scenario 1 ton of fully seasoned or 20% moisture wood, costs a fair bit more than £40 as the website claims. it would equate to roughly 1.35 ton of fresh cut wood which with price of haulage included would easily be costing £80 per ton going into the kiln as fuel. this is not even talking about labour preparing and drying it to 20 %

can other people reading this see the point i am making or am i missing something here?

ok thanks. just speaking for our company, we will process 1000 ton of hardwood next year and really the only waste wood is saw dust. so for me looking at your kiln i have to see the 4 tons to fuel 1 complete cycle as a direct cost to the business. so in the worst case scenario 1 ton of fully seasoned or 20% moisture wood, costs a fair bit more than £40 as the website claims. it would equate to roughly 1.35 ton of fresh cut wood which with price of haulage included would easily be costing £80 per ton going into the kiln as fuel. this is not even talking about labour preparing and drying it to 20 %

can other people reading this see the point i am making or am i missing something here?

Each person will have their own cost of fuel. I don't think our price of £40 a tonne is misleading but we may have to agree to disagree on this. By March we hope to have the boiler accredited for rapeseed straw a 4ft bale costs circa £20 and can be loaded straight into the boiler and has the more or less the same calorific value as a tonne of 20% m/c wood. If you don't have waste wood this may be a better option for you