Motives and methods (taken from the Word to the wise...)

Gary Prentice

They aren't interested in the tools for work. They don't work for a living, stealing is their profession. All they're interested in is the re-sell value. Cheap Aldi goods would have no value, top of the range pro tools will fetch them good £££s. We have to stop thinking that they think like us. They don't.

Alot of it is stolen and sold just to feed their habit ....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK

Think this through

They need the kit

They can't knick it because security and tracking has improved by dealer involvement and insurers reducing premiums for firms that fit trackers etc etc.

They have to buy if they want kit or buy on e bay second hand.

Well that puts up the price of second hand and encourages pros. to buy more regularly as they can sell their used kit for better money.

I'm sorry but using the excuse that it encourages sales is not as valid as you think.

Dodgey traders charging dodgy prices will still make their profit even if they have to buy new kit.

I agree with this

The "habit" is not always drink/drugs, some are career criminals for whom stealing is like us going to work with its own set of risks. Let's face it, if you can steal a chipper and get a few grand for a couple of hours work, it's going to worth the risk isn't it? The company you steal from is insured, the insurer pays out, and the dealer sells a new chipper. The "victim" has a new machine, he's happy, the insurer get higher premiums, he's happy, the thief gets a few £££s for nowt, he's happy, and the dealer gets his sale, he's happy too. Whose lost out?

The "habit" is not always drink/drugs, some are career criminals for whom stealing is like us going to work with its own set of risks. Let's face it, if you can steal a chipper and get a few grand for a couple of hours work, it's going to worth the risk isn't it? The company you steal from is insured, the insurer pays out, and the dealer sells a new chipper. The "victim" has a new machine, he's happy, the insurer get higher premiums, he's happy, the thief gets a few £££s for nowt, he's happy, and the dealer gets his sale, he's happy too. Whose lost out?

Everyone who pays an insurance premium for starters

Me

I don't want a new chipper as the one I have is a good one and the disruption to my business has lost us money.

Plus, if the insurance companies have increased theft then I have increasing premiums which is a cost to me.

Plus- they cause hundreds of pounds in damage when they break in.

Plus, the dealer would get a new sale anyway because the buyer of my nicked chipper would have to buy new if he wanted a chipper or as I intimated, buy second hand though at a higher price as there would be more demand as there would be fewer stolen stuff on the market.

Dealers need to get a grip here.

A local hire shop here had success with a chipper that was nicked- the police decided as it was tracked, they would prioritise it.

They found it with all stickers removed under metal sheeting under HV powerlines. They obviously thought the electric would disturb the signal.#

Chipper recovered.

Morons like me who forgot to put the digger on a seperate insurance policy when I took it out of the yard where it was on blanket cover :(

Yes, that's how the thieves see it, it's not their fault for stealing it, it's our fault for not insuring it properly, or not locking it down so stupidly tight it takes an age to get to work, or forgetting to take the keys out of the truck after a hard day. It's all our fault. We deserve to lose it.

OK

Think this through

They need the kit

They can't knick it because security and tracking has improved by dealer involvement and insurers reducing premiums for firms that fit trackers etc etc.

They have to buy if they want kit or buy on e bay second hand.

Well that puts up the price of second hand and encourages pros. to buy more regularly as they can sell their used kit for better money.

I'm sorry but using the excuse that it encourages sales is not as valid as you think.

Dodgey traders charging dodgy prices will still make their profit even if they have to buy new kit.

If they have a genuine need then no doubt they would have to bite the bullet and buy legally.

But how many machines must there be out there that were bought because they were cheap, and are used where no one will see them or "that will be handy at that price"

Don't forget, most machines are into containers, down the docks and abroad before the Police have even turned out to give you a "victims of crime" leaflet to accompany your crime no. They are not feeding a market in this country, but abroad, where black market rules control everything. This is proper crime, not just a few smackheads after a fix, unless someone is giving them it to nick for them.