finding hardwood firewood is crazy

CP WOODFUELS

If we know hard wood is short supply,where oh where do the people in the Forestry Commission come up with wood burning stove/firewood atricles in media publications stating that their are so many millions tonnes of firewood available in this country . Us guys in the business know that this is just not true,how can we get that across to the general public.

I do hope some one from the Forestry Commission reads all the replies to this thread and comments.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be a case of there is millions of tonnes out there but harvesting it is not always viable with where it is hence why its still standing there,we buy all our standing coppice privately to sell to the firewood trade etc,but the amount of jobs that are crying out to be cut and the owners just wont let you touch is ridiculous,thats where the forestry commision should be getting there finger out which would create more jobs in the cutting side.

If we know hard wood is short supply,where oh where do the people in the Forestry Commission come up with wood burning stove/firewood atricles in media publications stating that their are so many millions tonnes of firewood available in this country . Us guys in the business know that this is just not true,how can we get that across to the general public.

I do hope some one from the Forestry Commission reads all the replies to this thread and comments.

Someone from the forestry commission reads these threads? They need to start reading there emails and answering the phone first.

I had a few loads of softwood from a local woodland 2 years ago on the "firewood framework contract" (which is now near enough pointless) and after going to the same place mountain biking and noticing they had another 2-3 loads worth there a year later i contacted them and asked if i could buy it from them. Over a month of trying to contact someone they got back to me. His reply was no because they are understaffed and couldnt get anyone to go and measure it....

I asked if there would be any time in the next 6 months that he could get someone to measure it which he replied no. So in my experience utterly useless

Someone from the forestry commission reads these threads? They need to start reading there emails and answering the phone first.

I had a few loads of softwood from a local woodland 2 years ago on the "firewood framework contract" (which is now near enough pointless) and after going to the same place mountain biking and noticing they had another 2-3 loads worth there a year later i contacted them and asked if i could buy it from them. Over a month of trying to contact someone they got back to me. His reply was no because they are understaffed and couldnt get anyone to go and measure it....

I asked if there would be any time in the next 6 months that he could get someone to measure it which he replied no. So in my experience utterly useless

Hi if they did send some one to measure it more than lickely to get it wrong

Bought what was supposed to be 180 tonnes couple months back and it turned

out at 115 reckon he was blind or drunk or both or could nt be bothered to get out of his van so guessed.I am in west wales and it is now natural resources wales god knows how

much this cost and they still do nt answer voice mail or email.Big Chris

FC has been felling hundreds of acres of Larch(not necesariliy diseased but to slow/stop spread) here in Galloway. Not sure where it is sold to but is larch not pretty good for a woodburner?

One of the problems here is the huge biomass powerstation nr Lockerbie.

PR Larch can't go for firewood but it can for biomass through the proper channels... Clean larch is THE softwood firewood imo (unless you've got macrocarpa).

• 1 month later...
finding hardwood firewood around yorkshire or even any were is a NO GO situation im unsure even if there,s any softwood left. need to secure some wood from some were for next year ARGHH grow trees grow haha

We have a site on Humberside to start as soon as ground conditions allow.

There will be several hundred tonnes of mainly Ash and Oak topwood to come.If anyone within sensible haulage distance wants to p.m me their phone no:s I will contact them when we have roadside stock to see how they are fixed.

Cheers