Trees under the microscope

daltontrees

This thread is for any interesting pictures, discussion, techniques etc. for discovering more about trees by examining them under the microscope. I will kick off with a few random pictures of my own. First is the cross section of a conifer needle. If I find the slide again I will confirm the species. Please look in from time to time even if you are not participating. If nothing else the pictures can be very pretty.

DSCN0138.jpg.9c919bbf572185fe17d1d372f9bb8306.jpg

Amazing, thank you.

I noticed Tony Croft (AKA Hamadryad) inferred in a post yesterday that he is looking to invest in something similar so may also soon be able to contribute.

I recall meeting a HC Leaf Miner 'face to face', at least on screen, at a previous conference where Bartlett's where using a very strong electro-microscope.

Again, thank you for taking the time and for explain the slides...fascinating.

Cheers..

Paul

I can't remember which microscope I used, I have two. Probably a GX Optical JPL1350HBG for the pictures with the crosshairs. The others might be a Swift Model P. The quality is probably a product of the camera used. The poor ones are probably a Nikon Coolpix and the good ones a Nikon D3100

Great idea for a thread and a good start with the posted photographs. Can't help with techniques for sample prep of plant samples but have made a substantial amount of petrographic sections over the years.

Looking forward to more photos.

Cheers

Bob

Ahh, petrology, my other obsession. I have around 500 slides, hence I have polarising microscopes. I have suggested elsewhere to Tony Croft that he gets one because it shows up celllose degradation in the s2 layer of cell walls under crossed nicols.