tractor speed limits, a consultation

treebloke

Not sure if this is the best place but its a start. Tractors are limited to 20mph on public highways, when did you last see one that has the ability to travel in excess of this speed limit actually travelling less than 20mph, not by us they don't, its pedal to the metal and get out the way I am coming through including the 3 mtr wide implement on the back that you cannot see to well.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/maximum-speed-limit-for-tractors-on-public-roads

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha a few years ago I heard of one guy putting the shuttle in neutral in a fast track, at the top of telegraph hill in Devon, the speed camera half way down clocked him at 70!!!!

Better him than me:lol:

Get free membership to the JCB club if you do that. I have always tried but bottled it. :lol::lol::lol:

Plus I reckon 35 is more than plenty in a machine that size.

Depends on the brake set up.

But I have driven a fastrac at over 30mph easily. Got near 40 as that's what it could do. But with air brakes the limit does go up. So long as the trailer has air aswell.

The fastrac I drive in harvest does 70kph (43mph) with air braked trailer, I think the law has been left behind here as a 17 year old with a car license can drive what is basically an articulated vehicle weighing over 20 tons. Farm machinery has rocketed in weight and size but the law has never changed from the days of fergies and 3 ton trailers, but then again agriculture is a law unto itself.

The fastrac I drive in harvest does 70kph (43mph) with air braked trailer, I think the law has been left behind here as a 17 year old with a car license can drive what is basically an articulated vehicle weighing over 20 tons. Farm machinery has rocketed in weight and size but the law has never changed from the days of fergies and 3 ton trailers, but then again agriculture is a law unto itself.

Now this the bit that has always bothered me. Can't drive a car without a full license. Yet a tractor and trailer that easily weighs more than 20t, and let's face it, will turn into a death machine wrecking ball if it runs away is fine on an L plate......

Just goes way beyond my understanding..:confused1:

Now this the bit that has always bothered me. Can't drive a car without a full license. Yet a tractor and trailer that easily weighs more than 20t, and let's face it, will turn into a death machine wrecking ball if it runs away is fine on an L plate......

Just goes way beyond my understanding..:confused1:

What other industry can employ lads on minimum wage to drive their 20 ton plus machines, which need no tax and run on red diesel?

A few more accidents and it wont be long before a focus group gets hold of it. If the industry self regulates and sorts itself out now will be better than being pushed into it. Keep under the radar they will leave you alone shout on a forum about what you are up to they wont. The authorities catch more people on face book now than you could imagine. Do a search on google with the words fastrak and speed you will probably find your post on here and so will they.