Moving a Mulberry

Paul Barton

one of my favourites is the Mulberry, gnarly old things with great depth of character and fantastic fruit.

We're pretty privilaged to look after the trees at The museum of Keats down in Hampstead.

That one went over many decades ago & now sits on brick pillars, its vitality is strong and looks set for a good while yet.

My Mulberry today had supports David, interesting trees these mulberrys, I'd like to try the fruit fresh, I've only ever had them dried.

Worked on one a couple of years ago in Hackney.

It was inside an old Huguenots building. I was told that the silk weavers planted the Mulberry tree as the silk worms loved them.

It was a great tree made up of around 8 individual stems that had filled a courtyard. One had fails and I had to remove the broken stem and reduce the end weight on the remaining stems.

And yes it was in full fruit and very messy.

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/04/14/the-huguenots-of-spitalfields/

Edited by Rich Rule

Worked on one a couple of years ago in Hackney.

It was inside an old Huguenots building. I was told that the silk weavers planted the Mulberry tree as the silk worms loved them.

It's my understanding that a lot of the very old mulberries in London date from slightly earlier - planted by James 1st (1603-1625), including a mulberry garden just north of Buckingham Palace, planted in 1608 and the famous one in Chelsea Physic Garden. They were indeed planted to try to develop the silk trade in England - unfortunately they planted black mulberries (Morus nigra) and the silkworm only lives on white mulberries (Morus alba) so it didn't work!

Alec