Moving a Mulberry

Paul Barton

I know someone who works at the Wellcome Trust; I'll ask for a visit next summer.

Literally just down the road from me, I'd be keen on a visit if you could get me in also ? :thumbup1:

Inspection/feasibility report from Civic Trees

http://plan.scambs.gov.uk/swiftlg/MediaTemp/1128767-457029.pdf

Interesting, funny I was admiring a very old Mulberry today, at some stage in its life it had gone over and a lateral branch had took over as its leading stem, quite a tolerant tree I would guess, especially after reading the report, which said they found no roots over 50mm

Edited by Lee Winger

The black mulberry was historically propagated from 'truncheons' - branches about 2" in diameter literally just chopped off, cut to length for the main trunk and stuck in the ground, so I would imagine the odds of success in transplanting are pretty high.

Alec

The black mulberry was historically propagated from 'truncheons' - branches about 2" in diameter literally just chopped off, cut to length for the main trunk and stuck in the ground, so I would imagine the odds of success in transplanting are pretty high.

Alec

interesting thanks :thumbup1:

Interesting, funny I was admiring a very old Mulberry today, at some stage in its life it had gone over and a lateral branch had took over as its leading stem, quite a tolerant tree I would guess, especially after reading the report, which said they found no roots over 50mm

one of my favourites is the Mulberry, gnarly old things with great depth of character and fantastic fruit.

We're pretty privilaged to look after the trees at The museum of Keats down in Hampstead.

That one went over many decades ago & now sits on brick pillars, its vitality is strong and looks set for a good while yet.

597667635d5f7_1097-2204-Garden20Crocuses20021.jpg.d965601e5d10a26b875853cf8bb17e79.jpg

DSC07608.jpg.3bcbe7da19b6a9c65b74eb37118246a8.jpg

DSC07599.jpg.244c55fdd76eac87b9011ac6da081afc.jpg

DSC00044.JPG.341b3004b8aac7ab8e8d27ad60367cea.JPG

DSC02218.jpg.4dcb124f409f4bd92d6e50f2480aa51d.jpg

Untitled.jpg.5cd6dd891c23a3c963c177c6e5aed268.jpg