Trango Cinch

White Noise

I was told by one of the kit inspectors last year at the AA show that it wasn't fit for purpose.

I was informed that the cinch was originally a belay device for recreational rock climbing. Although it works in a lanyard configuration it isn't fit for purpose and should not be covered under LOLER for commercial operations.

Don't know if he was being a jobs worth but I used it for the comp and still do.

The scope of LOLER does not allow the inspector to tell you that it shouldn't be used, he can advise but for a LOLER inspection, if the item works as it should it passes

If its damaged or worn out it fails

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man reading all this about loler and inspections makes me so glad i live in Australia. We inspect our own kit before we climb, while we climb and any other time we feel like it. More experienced climbers help out less experienced. This loler crap must drive you guys nuts?

Man reading all this about loler and inspections makes me so glad i live in Australia. We inspect our own kit before we climb, while we climb and any other time we feel like it. More experienced climbers help out less experienced. This loler crap must drive you guys nuts?

I like Loler it's exactly like what you have described only recorded. I bet you and Drew have kit that is all good quality and well maintained.

Loler should be a positive thing used to improve standards and professionalism.

you are right high scale loler is good only if inspector sensible. Although one part of the loler test on krabs that tries to lock gate open is ****. The DMM ultra o crabs fails this after as little as 6 months use but in real world climbing as you let the gate spring back it never sticks open.