Snapped anchor!!

Gerbutt

it happened to me couple of month a go.i was dismantling a 50 ft sycamore surrounded with pigeon shed,and 2 sheds anchor point snapped and went down with a big bang and luckily even tho it went wrong nothing got damaged or no1 got hurt.it took me couple of seconds to realized what did just happend i cut one branch but 2 went down:)

lesson learn t big time...think twice check twice is your anchor strong enought to hold the load..

Edited by Mr Oz

It's quite common for US companies with their own bucket trucks to rig out big tops at the bucket's maximum height regardless of the height of the tree (within reason).

The bucket was at full extension so he couldn't go higher and piece it out smaller - he went for the big top and it failed dramatically.

The fundamental problem was the poor rigging anchor point on the right hand tree (he chose the weakest side of that double stem to rig from) - when the guy running the port a wrap could not let the top run any further (or at all) it meant the force of the top falling had to go somewhere and it went straight into pulling the two anchor trees together leading to the failure of the weak anchor point on the right hand tree.

The use of blocks would probably not have prevented the failure.

Edited by scotspine1

Did none of them notice the crap union on that tree they rigged out of? Or could they not have let it run, or put a secondary pulley in at the tree he was cutting? They were lucky that didn't hit the boom of the cherry picker. So many ways that could have been prevented. Good vid anyhow, thanks for posting!