advice on buying landrover need one soon

d-raittuk

130 td5 Defender tipper. Good payload, great towing ability. Look for an ex-utility fleet vehicle, it will have lots of extra kit that would cost a fortune to add later. Mines got: Webasto cab & engine heater, husky10 winch, hydraulics, inverter, heated seats..... Speak to Paul Foley at Foley Land Rovers.

Sent from my iPad protected by bombproof Lifeproof Case

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a 110 or a 130, 90's are too small for anything other than just towing and posing in.

They are great vehicles and do exactly what they say on the tin however they require considerably more attention in terms of general servicing than most modern cars and pick-ups which is why a lot of them end up knackered. When you know what you are doing the extra lubeing and checks doesn't take long or really cost much but makes all the difference to a vehicles longevity.

Things like regular greasing of propshaft UJ's, oil level checks in axles/gear box and transfer box, swivel housings and ALL steering linkages.

It's these things that get neglected when they are owned and maintained by people who don't know any better and end up causing sloppy steering and premature wear of major components.

As stated you are better of buying an older vehicle in really good nick thats "tight" rather than something newer thats been worked hard and neglected.

Buy a shed that you think is a good "fixer -up" project and if you don't know what you are in for you could well end up skint and sick of landrovers in a pretty short time..... (Speaking from experiance:lol:)

Be warned - Landrover ownership can be like a disease of which you are never fully cured, I love them but after using one as a daily driver for a year or 2 tend to get sick of them and vow never to own another. After a couple of years I always hanker after another:001_cool:

I would agree with everything above all my defenders were knackered and not nice to drive but still did the job. You cant beat and oil change and good grease up every 3000 miles for the cost it helps prolong the life of the vehicle. Td5 is a good engine and pulls well at 3000 rpm but just does not seem to have the bottom end torque. Good for towing down the motorway but no good for hill starts.

If you are planning on towing 2.8t digger regularly pay close attention to rear cross member and chassis rails.

We are on 4th landy and have changed this section in all of them - some of them twice!

They are big mechano sets so easy to work on

300tdi defender mechanically complete but rotten chassis available if anyone looking for bits or rebuild project

I would agree with everything above all my defenders were knackered and not nice to drive but still did the job. You cant beat and oil change and good grease up every 3000 miles for the cost it helps prolong the life of the vehicle. Td5 is a good engine and pulls well at 3000 rpm but just does not seem to have the bottom end torque. Good for towing down the motorway but no good for hill starts.

HI STEVE my TD5 200hp 310lbs:thumbup1: TQ it would of pull as well as your new truck mate that how it but your right td5 has no lowend go they need to be chip up :thumbup1:mate to get them going thanks jon :thumbup:

Get a 110 or a 130, 90's are too small for anything other than just towing and posing in.

They are great vehicles and do exactly what they say on the tin however they require considerably more attention in terms of general servicing than most modern cars and pick-ups which is why a lot of them end up knackered. When you know what you are doing the extra lubeing and checks doesn't take long or really cost much but makes all the difference to a vehicles longevity.

Things like regular greasing of propshaft UJ's, oil level checks in axles/gear box and transfer box, swivel housings and ALL steering linkages.

It's these things that get neglected when they are owned and maintained by people who don't know any better and end up causing sloppy steering and premature wear of major components.

As stated you are better of buying an older vehicle in really good nick thats "tight" rather than something newer thats been worked hard and neglected.

Buy a shed that you think is a good "fixer -up" project and if you don't know what you are in for you could well end up skint and sick of landrovers in a pretty short time..... (Speaking from experiance:lol:)

Be warned - Landrover ownership can be like a disease of which you are never fully cured, I love them but after using one as a daily driver for a year or 2 tend to get sick of them and vow never to own another. After a couple of years I always hanker after another:001_cool:

HI MATE good post there mate you must have a land rover thanks jon :thumbup:

If you need to enter a low emission zone like London, you'll need a td5 registered after 2002. The 300tdi isn't allowed in - unless it has a particulate filter. Td5's can be mapped my respectable tuners to 200bhp & about 400 nm of torque, so towing isn't a problem ever.

If you need to enter a low emission zone like London, you'll need a td5 registered after 2002. The 300tdi isn't allowed in - unless it has a particulate filter. Td5's can be mapped my respectable tuners to 200bhp & about 400 nm of torque, so towing isn't a problem ever.

good job i wouldnt go anywhere near London not even for all the tea in china lol :lol: