Contract climbing?

pence162no

Hello everyone.

I'm after some advice please.

I've worked as a tree surgeon for several years now, but have always been employed by a company. I've recently had a little boy and am considering becoming self employed as a contract climber when his mum goes back to work.

The idea is that I can still earn the same amount of money, but with more flexibility.

My concern is finding the work and pricing myself correctly.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do lots of your local companies use subbie climbers?

If they do, do you know what they are paying?

Price yourself honestly. If you are top notch then companies hopefully won't mind paying you top money. Similarly, if there are tree jobs you wouldn't feel comfortable taking on, don't ask for too much.

My tuppence worth.

Hello everyone.

I've worked as a tree surgeon for several years now, but have always been employed by a company. I've recently had a little boy and am considering becoming self employed as a contract climber when his mum goes back to work.

The idea is that I can still earn the same amount of money, but with more flexibility.

Any thoughts?

All good in theory mate. BUT what happens if the companies you subby to go quiet? I would think that bringing in a regular wage would be more preferable than flexibility of work. Especially in your current situation with nipper an' all.

I have been freelance for about 4 years now and it is a good when your busy but when things quieten off a bit, what will you do for moolah? In the current economic climate it may be better to stick with a wage. BTW I have a 2 year old so I know exactly where your coming from. I suppose it depends on who is the bread winner, the missus or you. If she is a lawyer, solicitor, doctor or similar with decent wage then get her back at it... LOL (Unfortunately mine isn't!)

Good luck with whatever you choose.

If the self employed don't have much free time, that's good news.

I've always been employed and enjoy working hard. I get very restless when I have nothing to do.

I'm not looking for the easy route... far from it.

I've been working full time as climber for about five or six years and would describe myself as very competent. Does anyone reading sub out? How much should I expect to charge?

Thanks for all the replies by the way!

I would suggest making yourself available to other companies for weekend work for a start.That way you have a steady wage as well as a justifiable extra rate on the weekends.I realise that this means the opposite of what you intend initially.

If your skills are up to the level required of a contractor,its likely that some extra work has already been offered to you.As such you should have an idea of what you are worth?

If the self employed don't have much free time, that's good news.

I've always been employed and enjoy working hard. I get very restless when I have nothing to do.

I'm not looking for the easy route... far from it.

I've been working full time as climber for about five or six years and would describe myself as very competent. Does anyone reading sub out? How much should I expect to charge?

Thanks for all the replies by the way!

I sub out but I,m fixed up with a top notch climber already. Stay fixed to Arbtalk, something will crop up from it. :001_smile:

Hello everyone.

Any thoughts?

I would say, if you are confident of your ability's, do it.