Good starter saw and mill for beginner

Holly tree

I suggest going big enough to start with that you can run an Alaskan Mark III. Otherwise you will just end up upgrading to one anyway:001_smile:

A lot depends on the size of timber you want to mill - if it's under 2' then an old 044 will do OK, bigger and I would look at the 051 as a relatively cheap option for up to a 30" cut on a 36" bar.

I would buy a 36" mill as it will be big enough for most things and can be shortened up for smaller logs.

If you enjoy it, you will ultimately need a >100cc saw, at which point the 36" mill can be used at full capacity, or even upgraded with longer rails if required.

Note, if you buy an old powerhead such as an 051/075/076 you will pretty much be able to get your money back if you decide you don't like it and want to sell it on.

Alec

No problem.

Been offered a 660 off a friend used for a few hours not sure on bar whats it worth?

Quite a bit.

Forget the bar (for milling) unless it's 36" sprocket-nosed. If they sold it on the open market they could expect £650-700 if it's in decent condition.

It's a good option for milling stuff up to about 2' though, and will cope with wider, albeit slowly.

Alec

What would be the maximum bar size for milling for a Stihl 038 Magnum?

(Hope I'm not hijacking the thread!)

Yes - you are :001_tt2::lol::lol:

It's a 72cc saw, so very similar to an 044. It will pull a 28" bar and mill around 22" width if you take the dogs off, although it will be slow. It will be comfortable milling with a 25" bar, up to about 18" or a bit more if you take the dogs off. You will definitely need a precision grinder, and to keep the chain razor sharp as performance will drop off quickly without the power to drive a dull chain. I would also be inclined to buy Granberg chain from the off if you are milling near capacity, as I would want every ounce of power.

If you're planning to stick with it as your primary milling saw, I might also be inclined to play around a bit and change the sprocket and bar nose (or order the bar with the right sprocket) and run the narrowest kerf chain you can. It will be slightly more prone to breaking, but not enough to worry about. Agrimog might have some good ideas on this as I believe he uses narrow kerf chain.

Alec

what can i go up with a MS650 (85cc) i was looking for a saw a few months back and ended up with a absolute bargain, pin holding handle to casting was broken off, shtil wanted £250 for new casting but i got my local fabricator to drill out broken pin, tap and fit a new one, MS650 for £280 :D

what can i go up with a MS650 (85cc) i was looking for a saw a few months back and ended up with a absolute bargain, pin holding handle to casting was broken off, shtil wanted £250 for new casting but i got my local fabricator to drill out broken pin, tap and fit a new one, MS650 for £280 :D

Nice, you can run the same sizes as the 660, up to 36", in fact, any 80-90cc should run up to 36" easily

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App