Moisture meter accuracy.

Mark Bolam

I recently bought a very cheap Stihl moisture meter.

It is good at comparing timber, but the figures seem a bit crazy.

Eg. a wooden shelf in a shed might come up as 11%, a freshly felled Euc ring 55% when split and tested in the middle.

The thing is, the deeper you press the metal prongs into the timber, the higher the reading. Some seasoned oak I have is reading 17% with the prongs just touching but 34% with them sunk in a couple of mm.

A bucket of water says 50%!

Any tips for accurate usage, or is it just cheap shite?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More often not the poor readings indicated are confirmed by poor burning. Make sure the batteries are good or the readings go way off. I found the stihl meter says wood is dryer than it is. Oak is a pig and can take years to dry I am sure you have found that in the past. I think the stihl meter is ok.

Even if the readings aren't that accurate, it has helped me confirm that 'seasoned cord' is a bit of a Unicorn!

It is surprising how quick the mc comes down once green timber is split and stored inside.

I enjoy logging in the winter, but I really need to get to a point where I spend winter processing stuff for the following winter.

i have 2 so i can compare etc but as time goes by experiance will take the place of the meter & dont want that to come across as a brag but you,ll know when the woods dry enough cracks weight time etc etc i think sometimes this wood malarky gets very confusing you will know if or when its ready by its looks and cracks on the ends etc i was also told once you can tell by sound too by clonking two pieces together also never tried that one though

I found even the cheapest meter better than guessing. I have had wood that I swore was bone dry burn badly on my stove then confirmed by meter its 30%. I found even different trees of the same species take different times to season could be time of year or next to river etc. Oak and Ash are the worst. Beech 3 weeks in the sun and its 20%

I recently bought a very cheap Stihl moisture meter.

It is good at comparing timber, but the figures seem a bit crazy.

Eg. a wooden shelf in a shed might come up as 11%, a freshly felled Euc ring 55% when split and tested in the middle.

The thing is, the deeper you press the metal prongs into the timber, the higher the reading. Some seasoned oak I have is reading 17% with the prongs just touching but 34% with them sunk in a couple of mm.

A bucket of water says 50%!

Any tips for accurate usage, or is it just cheap shite?

my tip is DON'T DRINK THE WATER :lol:

I havent got a meter but if I want to know I weigh a log then stick it in the oven, it creates a nice smell, and after a couple of days you can weigh it again and work out the %

I've got one from Clas Ohlson which looks the same as the Stihl one and cost £20. When compared to my mates which cost £250 and you dial in the species of timber,etc, there is only a few percent difference. And as Steve says, watch the batteries - change them as soon as warning sign appears as it reads way high when batteries are low.