Ebay troubles - a Saw I sold recently

Chris Sheppard

This thread needs converting in to members only I feel, as it names ebay and I've heard a lot of new tricks I didnt know. Not that I will use them, but others will.

This thread wont even scratch the surface of the scams they pull on ebay. They pick up ideas off ea other on the ebay forums or their brother init

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread needs converting in to members only I feel, as it names ebay and I've heard a lot of new tricks I didnt know. Not that I will use them, but others will.

Nobody needs to know any "new tricks", all they need to do is familiarise themselves with the new "distance selling" regulations which at first glance are so heavily weighted in favor of the buyer that it's ridiculous. These are freely available on various government and consumer web-sites all over the place. They apply to any business NOT carried out face to face, and actually ebay had to change it's policies to conform with them as their existing buyer protection didn't go far enough.

Against that, there are also ways within it for a decent trader to protect themselves if they go to the trouble of disecting them properly. We got a mail shot from one of the motorcycle trade organisations detailing what you needed to do to protect yourself and how you could be had if you didn't and it was a serious eye opener.

Edited by wrsni

Buyer pick up and cash on collection are wide open to abuse despite people thinking it must be the safest way to do business. There is no proof of delivery or payment recorded with ebay so either side can open a dispute after a sale.

But at least you know the goods excist and either side can raise some simple paperwork to cover any come backs. Better than signing for an empty packet through the post.

Buyer pick up and cash on collection are wide open to abuse despite people thinking it must be the safest way to do business. There is no proof of delivery or payment recorded with ebay so either side can open a dispute after a sale.

But if someone collects in person and pays cash on collection the only benefit from a dispute would be for the seller in a refund of fees through eBay if he says the buyer didn't complete the sale

And dispute raised by a buyer is pointless as if paid for in cash eBay can't refund them through PayPal as that was not the payment method used and you don't need proof of delivery if they collected and paid cash

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Only if you are fool enough to let them leave without signing for the item

Only if you are fool enough to let them leave without signing for the item

There's still no record of it on ebay if they sign for it. It happened to a friend of mine who sells lots of kitchen stuff on ebay and they issued a refund without even asking him if he had receipts or proof of hand over.

There's still no record of it on ebay if they sign for it. It happened to a friend of mine who sells lots of kitchen stuff on ebay and they issued a refund without even asking him if he had receipts or proof of hand over.

Then you say to ebay here is a copy of the POD now hand my cash back or court action follows

This thread wont even scratch the surface of the scams they pull on ebay. They pick up ideas off ea other on the ebay forums or their brother init

Nobody needs to know any "new tricks", all they need to do is familiarise themselves with the new "distance selling" regulations which at first glance are so heavily weighted in favor of the buyer that it's ridiculous. These are freely available on various government and consumer web-sites all over the place. They apply to any business NOT carried out face to face, and actually ebay had to change it's policies to conform with them as their existing buyer protection didn't go far enough.

Against that, there are also ways within it for a decent trader to protect themselves if they go to the trouble of disecting them properly. We got a mail shot from one of the motorcycle trade organisations detailing what you needed to do to protect yourself and how you could be had if you didn't and it was a serious eye opener.

Blooming heck I was more naive and innocent than I thought. I have generally always done ok with ebay.:001_unsure: