Log Splitter Advise Required

chris walker

I am looking at either building or buying a hydraulic log splitter.

I have looked into running it off my L200 but its going to be far to messy,

So I have decided to Run the splitter off a purpose made Hydro pack.

The guys from flowfit have been really help full but my main problem I have is im not sure how much ton in force i am going to need to suit my requirements.

Basically ill be chopping oak, beach etc and some bits quite Knoty. the ring depth will be around 12" 300mm and the ring width around 24" 600mm.

So I dont know if ill need a 10T 15T 20T etc amount of force, what do you guys use.?????

:blushing:

My processor has a 10T hydraulic ram for splitting and it amazes me what it will split. I have put some pretty gnarly bits of oak through and held my breath but it doesn't even think about it. When accidentally testing the awesomeness of the splitter I might have accidentally put a couple of bits through sideways just to see what happens :-). Bit more of a struggle but it can still do it ! Make sure you have a strong splitting bar. I think a 6 way splitter would be great (mine does two or four). Look forward to seeing a video of the homemade splitter. V envious as I cant make anything like that.

My splitter has a 8 tonne ram off flowfit and it hasn't failed to split anything. I've had some wood you have nightmares through it. If a log won't split turn it over or flip it so the grain is horizontal rather than vertical. The main thing is make sure your girder or box section or whatever your wedge is going to slide down is strong enough of not it will twist and you will struggle to split

I have a 10 ton on the back of my tractor and it does everything I need, it gets defeated occasionally but on those bits its easier to put through a saw bench as they are knotty horrible bits that split poorly anyway,

I have used a splitter that had 2 phases pull first handle and its 10ton force pull second handle it doubles up, so produces 20ton, nothing stopped that thing, it was amazing, but it all costs,

My advice 10 ton would be minimum if you can afford to go bigger go bigger.

I am looking at either building or buying a hydraulic log splitter.

I have looked into running it off my L200 but its going to be far to messy,

So I have decided to Run the splitter off a purpose made Hydro pack.

The guys from flowfit have been really help full but my main problem I have is im not sure how much ton in force i am going to need to suit my requirements.

Basically ill be chopping oak, beach etc and some bits quite Knoty. the ring depth will be around 12" 300mm and the ring width around 24" 600mm.

So I dont know if ill need a 10T 15T 20T etc amount of force, what do you guys use.?????

:blushing:

hi chris what area are you in the uk maybe you could meet up with one of us who has one to look over etc ?

Im in Dartmouth Devon.

The guy from flow fit said he can supply a plug in play set up with a 13hp donkey engine powering a 2 stage pump with a flow rate of 24 lph and a max pressure of 15.5 ton.

I questioned the flow rate and he said it wont be a problem.

Thanks for all the repies so far.

Chris

• 5 months later...
Im in Dartmouth Devon.

The guy from flow fit said he can supply a plug in play set up with a 13hp donkey engine powering a 2 stage pump with a flow rate of 24 lph and a max pressure of 15.5 ton.

I questioned the flow rate and he said it wont be a problem.

Thanks for all the repies so far.

Chris

If you use a 100 mm cylinder and a engine and 2 stage pump from flowfit you should also get the auto return spool valve which would make life a bit easier!! Try Ramko for the hydraulic cylinder they are a bit cheaper than flow fit. I've bought a few cylinders from them and had no issues. Are you going vertical or horizontal with your splitter?? I find the horizontal splitter best as it pushes the split wood away from you or splits direct into trailer but lifting heavy rings onto it can be a pain and if you have big rings you have to handle it a few times until it's all split. Good luck with your build and post a few pics when done!