Biochar - helping trees stand strong when every carbon capturing leaf counts

Landscape Hub

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an uneducated man on these matters, can someone explain the problem with this product? In my understanding as a gardener (domestic) it was always common practise to incorporate wood ash and soot from chimneys to the soil, to improve water retention and potash levels around fruit bushes. So IMO this is a marketed by-product along those lines, what is wrong with that? Surely it's a form of recycling/returning that which came from the earth to the earth?

Its probably the marketing and premium prices along with the name to hide what is actually a simple product. Bio is used with eco and tech alot to persuade potential customers its good., I avoid these names but cannot comment on on this product as Ive never even looked at it. I Recycle everything possible and my ash goes on the garden along with chainsaw shavings in the compost.

Marketing and commercial pricings are the ways of the world, whether or not we like it. Clever marketing uses the in-words of the time, words that help a product stick in the mind. Using a name to be associated and accepted by people is a very common practise, even down to user-names here :001_smile:. The way I see it, in very simple terms is that there is a by-product, given a new name, package it nicely to appeal to people, and sell it to them. Better that than dumped in landfill.

Would I use it? I'm currently in discussion with one of my larger clients to test it on this seasons plantings, proof is in the pudding :001_smile:

As an uneducated man on these matters, can someone explain the problem with this product? In my understanding as a gardener (domestic) it was always common practise to incorporate wood ash and soot from chimneys to the soil, to improve water retention and potash levels around fruit bushes. So IMO this is a marketed by-product along those lines, what is wrong with that? Surely it's a form of recycling/returning that which came from the earth to the earth?

Hi Andy

We have made a bit of charcoal and looked into the market for Biochar. I was very unsure of it's purpose and how it works but this is my understanding after a bit of research. I don't think the biochar it'self a soil improper it's the fact it acts like a sponge to nutrients so locking them into the soil and not letting it get washed away. Biochar needs enriching to add goodness to the soil. There is some information on the CAT site on field trials but can't find it at the moment. For the time being we are just adding our biochar/charcoal waste to our compost heap.

Biochar=charcoal+greenwash=£/$/Euros

Why all the biochar bashing. This is a product that if universally accepted could in time provide a huge boost to our sector. One of the expected main sources of raw material for biochar production is the waste arisings from forestry and other tree work.

Application rates at the agricultural level are expected to be in the region of 10 ton per hectare. The unfairly maligned biochar could well act as a driver for the increased management of our neglected woodlands.

It might be useful to think of biochar as being in the same family as charcoal, whilst being a distinct product in its own right. To produce good quality biochar the pyrolysis process needs to be closely monitored. Temperatures are held within a certain range to create a 'charcoal' with the desired properties. The charcoal then undergoes further processing, reducing it to fine particles. It is then advisable to charge it with nutrient rich material before adding to the soil. Uncharged char will provide benefits over time but would have a negative effect in the short term as it will tend to 'soak up' the nutrients present in the soil.

Hopefully it is clear from this that there are important differences between charcoal and biochar, and although they come into the world through similar processes they need to be thought of as separate entities.

Biochar could be a vital help in locking up carbon to help mitigate climate change. Admittedly this could also be achieved by burying millions of tons of charcoal, but why not capitalise on the soil improving characteristics that biochar can bring at the same time.

OK, rant almost over! But finally, please stop criticising biochar for attracting added monetary value. We all know only too well that woodland product is currently undervalued (in both senses of the word). Biochar can be produced by people operating at all levels, and I for one would like to see it's value rise.

Thanks, in a way what you've told me here has vindicated my proposed trial. The soil is sand/gravel, nutrients and goodness wash away very very easily. I have tried every combination along traditional methods when planting, to retain moisture and nutrients. If this product, (or indeed a similar product) makes a difference then it's worthwhile.

I am always cynical of claims, many in Arb are simply alkin to the Emporers New Clothes, tbh there is little new in the world, just re-vamped and re-badged and pushed out there.

It depends on how you look at it. Raw uncharged biochar Will provide no nutrition at all. Biochar is essentially pure carbon, which when incorporated in the soil remains incredibly stable, not breaking down for thousands of years, hence it's potential for fixing carbon.

Biochar works a bit like a permanent sponge in the soil. It has a huge surface area at microscopic level. Nutrients bind to these surfaces and are held where the plant roots can reach them, potentially reducing the amount of fertiliser that needs to be applied.

Manure will give the soil a short term boost before it is all taken up or leached out. Mix some small practical charcoal in with your manure and you have made your own biochar. Apply this to your soil and I reckon you will be mighty pleased with the result.