Employment costs

Fencing

You will have to charge more to cover the costs of employing him, holiday pay, ppe, employers contributions to tax and NI, employers liability insurance, pension. Depend on your business and whether it can stand it.

Not neccessarily. The OP should already hold EL insurance. Depends what he pays him at the moment and how much of a cut this guy is willing to take in his money per day/hour in return for job security.

Not neccessarily. The OP should already hold EL insurance. Depends what he pays him at the moment and how much of a cut this guy is willing to take in his money per day/hour in return for job security.

Does being an employee really mean job security these days?

Not meaning to derail the thread, but what's the limit a subbie can work for you before they have to go on the books?

If you're a member of the Forestry Contracting Association they have a question check list that will give you a scoring as to employment status of a subby.

It's quite detailed. Although not entirely the same as working for an arb company there are a lot relevant questions to establishing work status.

Pros are he will always be with you 5 days a week or whatever the contract stipulates, which is invaluable.

Cons- employers NI contributions kick in at 10% ish when an employee earns over £642 a month

Holiday pay, sick pay, paternity leave etc

Provision of PPE

However if e deal is worked correctly you should pay him proportionately less to account for the fact that he isn't handling/ paying for all of the above and also the added security if being employed.

The hardest part is explaining the last paragraph to the plastic 'labour only' self employed

WM Tree Services

http://www.bestkenttreesurgeons.co.uk

Its a tough one, my business has grown (fencing) I didn't want a labourer working with me persay, so I went for a very qualified guy, it works really well, he turns up on the job, and the job gets done.

I have a feeling that the drop in £ to get down to a level where I cover all my additional costs would mean its too low for him. seems a shame we can stay as we are really

Anyone know what constitutes being an employee rather than subbie?

Across the channel, the rule of thumb is this.

If you pay a guy 10euros (just above the minimum wage)

You need to charge him out at 30euros.

90% of the salary is paid to the government in National insurance (French version of and pension included)

Then you've monthly admin, employee insurance, daily restaurant (we all eat in one, it is france after all), PPE, holiday, SICKNESS, breakages cos you can only afford a F'Kwit...

THEN...legal fees getting rid of the lazy swine when he sues you for making him work in the rain and cold (gainst me 'uman roights...)

Ty