bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

that's unusual for a mag, i usually see these things splitting at the base in to two or three stems.

Gone over root plate and all. It's been sat underwater in the floods and also its tight against a wall and the rootball has been restricted on one side.

Very tall slender crown too.

at the bottom of page 15 stihlben showed some pictures of his and it looks nice enough.

Yes it does. The acuminata I had was about 24" and as plain as anything. Once had a 12" dia apricot tree which the local turners went mad for.

A question:

I usually mill big, long board type stuff but every now and again I have smaller, shorter things, of a more 'craft' nature which might make good turning blanks.

I am happy to mill it, but is there demand, and if so what sizes are interesting? What form should it be taken to (i.e. should I leave it as a plank or cut circles out?) Finally, the inevitable price question. I price timber per cu.ft, depending on whether it's green, dried or planed to dimension. What is the interesting form for turning and is it priced per cu.ft or some other approach?

Alternatively I have no shortage of firewood.

Cheers

Alec

always leave it as boards then the crafts person be them a turner or otherwise can do with it as they please. this is less work for you and the wood can be made in to more than bowls if desired.

i would say 2"+ is of interesting size to a turner and if the cabinet maker wants it thinner then it can be resawn once seasoned.

not everything need be milled so even less work for you. burs cut off the tree or halved crotches yield some lovely looking bits of wood.

pricing does depend on the species but they don't go much higher than what you can get from the lumber yards.

per ft3 here is what i'd expect some to be,

plain timber,

oak, beech, chestnut, ash, sycamore, robinia, cedar, pine, yew, hornbeam and lime no more than £20

we figured versions £30+ (dependent on figure) highly burred or rippled £45-£50 with other curiosity species probably £35-£40

anything green i would not expect to pay more than £15ft3, this is much higher than any firewood price and some turners use what would be firewood had the not rescued it

Dependant on thickness obviously just slabbed straight down the middle is usually best for a turner

Also bear in mind they usually preference the bowl or horrible knotty bits rather than the pice plain stuff

Been working on this piece of birch for a couple of evenings, quite pleased with it.

The top lip raised one side as I was sanding it this evening, I left it as I quite liked the look.

1394132806750.jpg.24c51f7ecd7eeb71bbf253b2d0a06202.jpg

1394132830671.jpg.04df6d27ac605518df6bfac638c614fe.jpg

1394132853073.jpg.de2d0de634fc5dacda4fb7f701baac67.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app