Dual mass flywheel conversion.

Tree Man Tom

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nearlly always throw the dmf away. Single piece all the way.

I know a man who put a new dmf in his mondeo and it snapped number 4 rod clean off the strap.

I do agree.... The conversion we've done has turned a van no one wanted to drive into a really nice drive...:thumbup:

Nobody had dmf years ago and nobody snapped cranks, modern engineering is muck!!! Pft!!

It does make you wonder. I like the engineering principal of kiss. Keep it simple stupid. But I would also consider they may have made the gearbox lighter to save fuel. Also years ago the average van knocked out 80 hp. Land Rover are just about to launch a 2.5 litre 4 cyl engine that pokes out 250 hp. Combine this with people that use the clutch like a switch you can see why they chuck some springs in.

Nobody had dmf years ago and nobody snapped cranks, modern engineering is muck!!! Pft!!

Nobody had modern lightweight high-speed diesel engines years ago, either!

Now we have diesels which weigh the same, rev the same, and drive the same as petrol engines, but still have diesel compression ratios, the damping problems have been harder to solve. Whereas before you had a massive flywheel on a low-revving engine, now you have to have a relatively light flywheel and they lack the inertia to provide adequate vibration damping. The DMF is an attempt - and from a technical standpoint quite a sucessful attempt - to solve the problem. By the time they've been "value engineered" into a production environment however there are problems.

As the owner of a TD5 Disco (for 13 years and 200k miles) I hate DMFs, without a doubt it is the worst feature of the vehicle. I need soon to fit another new flywheel (which will be number 3), and I am struggling to decide between another DMF or a solid conversion. The DMF wears out far quicker than the driven plate.

It is also interesting that when the TDCi engine replaced the TD5 in the Defender, LR ditched the Transit's DMF in favour of a return to a solid flywheel and sprung driven plate. It is a shame that they designed such a rubbish driven plate though! On my TDCi Defender I now replace the clutch every 50k miles since despite having negligible wear at the mileage the springs will be set to fall out. It is almost as though they wanted to make us think that the TD5 clutch wasn't so bad after all - I have never owned a vehicle where the clutch needs renewing after 50k miles (but at least it's not the flywheel).

Has anyone done a conversion the other way (ie from solid to DMF) on a TDCi Defender?

I should not say this but have towed big trailers for 20 odd years. Never changed a clutch. Some did 140k with me and were not new when purchased. I always use low box when moving loaded trailers and when stuck in traffic. I may have been lucky but cant remember changing a clutch.

The last clutch I changed on the Disco was at 130k miles and the driven plate was fine, it probably had 50k more miles in it. It was the flywheel that was shot.

So instead of a £30 repair for a driven plate, it was £200 for a flywheel.

Edited by Treewolf
typo