Replacement for 346XP.

leafcut

Hi all, my most used saw is the 346 xp,18" bar,does what it says on the box. However: I am under the impression that the big boys at husky dont make this model anymore and that the relatively new 550 XP has replaced the 346-is this true ? and if so how does the 550 perform ? anyone using this saw-comments would be helpful, thanks in advance...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

If you still have your 346 an alternative would be to send it to spud for a porting job . ( cheaper than a new 550 ) . I did ages ago and it is a loony . Pulls a 15" bar with an 8 pin sprocket . Think its faster than a 550 or as good .

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you still have your 346 an alternative would be to send it to spud for a porting job . ( cheaper than a new 550 ) . I did ages ago and it is a loony . Pulls a 15" bar with an 8 pin sprocket . Think its faster than a 550 or as good .

Im doing this soon. I have two 346s as well so don't intend replacing yet:thumbup:

Why they stopped making the 346xp is beyond me, it is a cracking saw, better than that auto tune shite there churning out. I had a 560 for a year, nothing but trouble, went back to husky twice, utter crap. Keep the 346 alive until husky bring out the niggle free 550/60.

Why they stopped making the 346xp is beyond me, it is a cracking saw, better than that auto tune shite there churning out. I had a 560 for a year, nothing but trouble, went back to husky twice, utter crap. Keep the 346 alive until husky bring out the niggle free 550/60.

when will this be?

I know, my 560 was awesome hen it worked, but it conked out a lot, then things broke like the pull cord assembly and chainbrake, then wouldn't start hen hot or if it had been sat. Too much hassle so I sold it. Love my 346/372/576/395 though!!

I know, my 560 was awesome hen it worked, but it conked out a lot, then things broke like the pull cord assembly and chainbrake, then wouldn't start hen hot or if it had been sat. Too much hassle so I sold it. Love my 346/372/576/395 though!!

A lot of chickens involved in that ! :biggrin:

The problem was, the 346 just wasn't as good as it should have been by the end. Sure it's fine for Arb, but as a forestry saw it was less good, but perhaps best of a bad bunch.

It never handled as well as the older 2 series saws and was just a bit bland IMO - I could never bring myself to buy one.

Maybe I've just been lucky with my 550. it was no secret I hated the idea of autotune, but it looks like it's here to stay whether we like it or not.

Other than the relaibility problems that some people have had, the saw itself feels sooooo much ncer than the 346 ever did!

Not that a newish saw breaking is ever a good thing, but what always amused me was how few people would actually have a back up saw in the truck - it always seemed like people were yelling about how they had to go all the way back to the yard for a spare saw to be able to finish the day off :confused1:

I ran a 42 Special, though have used a 346 once, and I can say there was a big difference in the 42, 346, the 42 was a nicer saw by far and i wanted to put convert it to a 242, it used weekly still on the farm, as it replace a 023 stihl and i now have a 550xpg, the 346 was no were as nice to handle compared to the 550xpg, i love the 550 for work as it so nice to handle, just like Chris says,

we have to remember that there is a huge difference between arb and forestry, when it comes to how a saw is used day to day,

forestry it hardly stops, and how it handles as we have a far higher ratio of sneeding to cross cutting and speed is a far larger factor as it is often payed on a piece rate, and felling a trees at a far higher rate and were the tree lands it says there general,

i love it, but still not total sure on auto tune, but the saw is worth the risk as it is a brillent saw