Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Just now, Canal Navvy said:

I'm trying to remember how long ago I first saw an Engcon tilt rotator working at the SED. There did seem to half a dozen of us who spent half of the day watching it and trying to find out what it was ??

I worked with a guy from up north who first explained it to me. He claimed his ex boss brought the first two over for a specific job for Balfour’s back in the day.

He’d tried to get them onto Rail work with little success, but it inspired me to find out more.

Saltax at Windsor Racecourse was my first real encounter and took the leap soon after.

I’d guess Hugh Clixby must be one of the earliest adopters of the concept I’d know of.

Totally different to today, where the information is readily available, Buckets and Attachments of all kinds ready to integrate with the systems, plus plenty of experienced users to pass on first hand knowledge.

Eddie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

I worked with a guy from up north who first explained it to me. He claimed his ex boss brought the first two over for a specific job for Balfour’s back in the day.

He’d tried to get them onto Rail work with little success, but it inspired me to find out more.

Saltax at Windsor Racecourse was my first real encounter and took the leap soon after.

I’d guess Hugh Clixby must be one of the earliest adopters of the concept I’d know of.

Totally different to today, where the information is readily available, Buckets and Attachments of all kinds ready to integrate with the systems, plus plenty of experienced users to pass on first hand knowledge.

Eddie.

Something that tends to put me off- and it’s purely speculative as I’ve never used one. I don’t want to use the word abuse, but  typical real world situation which I counter- grappling with boulders- digging out ditches and ponds etc- how would an engcon stand up to working immersered in water, that boulder/log that’s too big to lift so you end up rolling it around, big stump that needs coming out, I’m not saying I’m rough on machines- quite the opposite but there always seems to be the odd situation crops up where yeah you’d want a bigger machine but the job needs doing there and then so tend to push the machine through it. I just wonder how robust they are?

I think the original Kubota says it all really?

10 years on that’s the original Engcon SK10, and what’s more that base Kubota is able to put far more loadings through it than a standard base carrier, due to weighing more and having a wide platform that doesn’t give first.

I’ve used them pretty much to their limits on all types of carriers, and the loadings the Liebherr dishes out are savage.

Like anything it can and will break, but speccing it right in the first instance and getting a good install are the main priority for long trouble free service.

Hard to explain, but that boulder, log or stump etc all of a sudden has a multitude more ways to attack it with a Tiltrotator, often just being able to dig underneath all round or get to that one tough root is enough.

They’re not cheap, and spares are savage, certainly not for everyone, but credit to the manufacturers they really can’t try any harder with free dig days and demo’s etc to let people get a real taste of them.

Anyone with the slightest interest will be most welcome at any of these events, and absolutely no sales pressure or atmosphere of trying to mock any first time users, quite the opposite, with everyone encouraged to have a go.

31EA2BA6-B564-4798-BC47-B29456D292FE.jpeg.c60a40f3f296d62d07484e4bba3c9f8d.jpeg

F05D5C1B-E48C-4F2C-9957-C82304FC47A7.thumb.jpeg.48eb948d17a3e43c16c279282ace0345.jpeg

79AC4CBC-00DD-41A2-93A3-FF488DEC41C8.thumb.jpeg.9d891e559be34f5db23bd3ca9b9198c6.jpeg

128F2CC7-C0DD-4093-A378-9699ABCECFAD.thumb.jpeg.05356c06e95a879552796fc0590bb9c5.jpeg

C9B550BF-691B-45BB-9DEE-13A204142448.thumb.jpeg.df25eb6dc4b026fb2be56f992981907b.jpeg

E30608A6-2E12-4F10-B97C-C35C3E6E1F9F.thumb.jpeg.2b61c124e4fcfa50b1078880ee82e341.jpeg

91F544FF-31DE-438D-98E7-78600A822273.thumb.jpeg.16eec883e0bd7669196017b46fd4c239.jpeg

1EDF29C7-19E5-42D2-B658-30ABEBE7D695.thumb.jpeg.8f88d9054b704879be1a4d09cec1453b.jpeg

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie
  • Like 4

On 24/09/2019 at 23:13, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Has that got the rams on the sides? Wouldn't be be too clumbersome for the 6" bucket trenching would it? If not it'd be worthwhile looking at it ? 

Jack 

Try to get digbits buckets and hitches if you can. Far  better than harfords imho.

I would say the 9 and 12inch buckets are the least used out of all of mine,,so don't stress about them too much.

12 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Try to get digbits buckets and hitches if you can. Far  better than harfords imho.

I would say the 9 and 12inch buckets are the least used out of all of mine,,so don't stress about them too much.

I've just been quoted 499.50 a month for a e20 with the 6 buckets mentioned asked about the smp sm30/180 Eddie mentioned and they said they can't get them then asked for geith and said we don't supply them so it's all hardford's hitches and buckets included in the price would it be better to get it with the hard ford's then once worn out change to geithnor just buy the machine with no hitch and buckets and just supply my own? 

Jack 

Edited by Jwoodgardenmaintenance
Spelling

Project for someone, this would have cost £££ new!

Ever popular Hitachi 8 tonner with ultra rare in UK Two Piece Boom.

Will tidy up nice and you can put any steel tracks you like up to about 900mm with no mods on these.

Full Cab Guard off the shelf at Cabcare, will make a good Shear machine with the extra geometry.

I hope it’s last job was to backfill whoever’s been sitting in the seat!?

WWW.MASCUS.CO.UK

Hitachi ZX 85 US B-5 A - the United Kingdom - Full service history: Yes, Amount of previous owners: 1...

Eddie

3 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

I've just been quoted 499.50 a month for a e20 with the 6 buckets mentioned asked about the smp Eddie mentioned and they said they can't get them then asked for geith and said we don't supply them so it's all hardford's hitches and buckets included in the price would it be better to get it with the hard ford's then once worn out change to geithnor just buy the machine with no hitch and buckets and just supply my own? 

Jack 

I have a harford hitch on both my Taks, it’s ok but I wouldn’t say I’m crazy about the geometry- I reckon it loses a load of breakout force- the old miller hitches I used to have were better in that respect  but boy did they wear- soon got yourself a self levelling bucket!

is that over 60 months that price?