Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Been playing with this setup on a few jobs recently, (I've hired in the bigger excavator so don't shoot me down for the lack of guarding.) Mounting the grapple on the extension jib gives so much more dexterity and reach and add in the fun you can gain with the GMT total tree control it really is a fast unit to clear medium trees.

Being able to drop the GMT and quickly load chip with the clamshell is a massive bonus.

DSC_2864.JPG

DSC_2858.JPG

DSC_2859.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_9095 (1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9098 (1).jpg

DSC_3160.JPG

sketch-1682952545037.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm really impressed with these steel tracks. Should have made the switch (or at least bought a set for certain jobs) when I first got the machine. Way better traction. Better all round for rural type jobs. What's particularly impressed me is how good they are at tracking in. I've used them on crushed concrete and also dirt. Technically they are the same footprint so the same ground presure, but they really put it down. Make a very neat job. I always say that you can't use a mini digger for tracking in- they are designed for low ground pressure after all. Well you can with steel tracks!

These are double grouser so probably the optimum for my kind of work. I'm sure I will be equally impressed when I try them with some bolt on flotation bars for bog work.

£1600 well spent.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well we didn't go looking for this machine but when it came up for sale we had to have her. Takeuchi tb1140, such a stable machine and it just plays with all our attachments without any problems. Hopefully get the guarding sorted in the next few weeks.

DSC_3240.JPG

DSC_3241.JPG

DSC_3261.JPG

DSC_3259.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Fitted a boom offset circuit diverter valve and extra aux circuit to my Kubota kx61-3 on the weekend with a view to using various attachments on the tilt hitch. Would like a rotating grapple but Christ they're not cheap! 

Does anyone use a tree shear on a small digger, i.e. 2.5-3t? How do you get on with it and what jobs do you end up doing with it? Was thinking it could be handy for coppicing hedges that are too gnarly or overgrown to lay. Won't compete with a big machine though so maybe too much of a niche.

IMG_20230808_162555_795.jpg

IMG_20230806_090701_678.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

10 years on from me starting this thread and my Arbdigger life has come to an end.  Had to face facts that my back can’t take the bouncing about and sitting for hours.  Luckily I’ve a good friend who has 1 with lots of attachments who loves sitting on his.

Arthritis? My back doesn't like sitting on the machine for too long either- it's worse all day in the machine than grafting for a day- I find regular little walks every hour or two helps.

20 hours ago, Slicer Dicer said:

Arthritis? My back doesn't like sitting on the machine for too long either- it's worse all day in the machine than grafting for a day- I find regular little walks every hour or two helps.

Just 30 plus years of graft and stress!  I’m pretty high strung and don’t deal with stress well.  So I’ve implemented changes that should help my future health.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I bought this to help sort out garden, wee bit smaller at 1.8t than I planned but it's immaculate and was on my doorstep.

It has full service history but I'll change oil just as matter of course. Book says SAE 10w-30 or 15w-40, for UK climate does it really matter?

Also should I go for fully synthetic, part, mineral etc? Book doesn't mention anything about that! 

Thanks in advance for any advice

20231021_173741.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wood wasp said:

I bought this to help sort out garden, wee bit smaller at 1.8t than I planned but it's immaculate and was on my doorstep.

It has full service history but I'll change oil just as matter of course. Book says SAE 10w-30 or 15w-40, for UK climate does it really matter?

Also should I go for fully synthetic, part, mineral etc? Book doesn't mention anything about that! 

Thanks in advance for any advice

20231021_173741.jpg

Either grade will do. Not familiar with that engine but I’d say mineral will be fine- it’s a small enough engine not to have dpf etc.