chainsaw accident in fife

Robert_S

I'd understand I they didn't provide correct ppe. But he attended the basic chainsaw course!! So the mistake was on him. He should of called the line manager to ask for more hands before even starting. I doubt he even filled out a risk assessment which would of highlighted this!!

I have to disagree on this one Dan. When I worked for the local water authority I was "trained" in pa1, pa6 and brush cutter use. None of which I ever used whilst working for them. If I had have been sent out to do any of the tasks that needed these skills I would have filled out a RA "thinking" that I knew what I was doing, because I'm trained!.....The bit that gets missed on training courses is common sense.

They are just changing all the rules and regs in NZ. Now, any employee can be culpable in the event of an incident (no longer an accident). It is no longer an excuse to say "my manager asked me to do it". If you get asked to do a job requiring a chainsaw then you need to have the correct training and know what PPE you need otherwise you don't pick up the saw. Get caught out and it's an on the spot fine. Plenty about it on the Treetools blog if anyone is interested.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

They are just changing all the rules and regs in NZ. Now, any employee can be culpable in the event of an incident (no longer an accident). It is no longer an excuse to say "my manager asked me to do it". If you get asked to do a job requiring a chainsaw then you need to have the correct training and know what PPE you need otherwise you don't pick up the saw. Get caught out and it's an on the spot fine. Plenty about it on the Treetools blog if anyone is interested.

How are you expected to know what training and PPE you should have without being trained? :001_smile:

In some outfits that would be a good question Felix but, at least with us in the council, it's made abundantly clear what is required, training or not. Not sure if that makes sense. We are just going through all of our guys who have been through a chainsaw training course to see who is actually competent. We have guys picking up saws that are apparently trained but haven't got the foggiest. WE know they're not competent so we have stopped all saw use until we go through a refresher. Strangely enough most of them know they're not competent, they just like to play with things that go brummmm and make em look good.

I'd understand I they didn't provide correct ppe. But he attended the basic chainsaw course!! So the mistake was on him. He should of called the line manager to ask for more hands before even starting. I doubt he even filled out a risk assessment which would of highlighted this!!

Then they sent him to deal with a windblown tree.:thumbdown: